Altitude Blend Distorter

Started by efflux, March 02, 2012, 07:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

Rich.

I actually agree about your point in TG2 being used for object placement. This is partly why I'm starting some threads here. Yes, there are lots of really cool renders full of trees. Lovely alpine scenes etc but I think there is a danger of getting away from sculpting terrains, working on surfacing etc. Objects, even if it trees and plants are a way of hiding bad terrain.

pixelpusher636

efflux this is really genius! You really are a fountain of information, and I believe I will learn a great deal from this! Thanks! and  good to see the plague that passed through the forum didn't take you out too!
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

TheBadger

QuoteObjects, even if it trees and plants are a way of hiding bad terrain.

^^This is my favorite way to accept/deny the difficult nature of Terragen. But when you say "sculpt" I just cringe. Because Terragen as it is, means sculpting with nodes. Though that would not be a problem if there were not so few nodes built in, requiring everyone to build gigantic node networks just to get one dirt shader TG2 should have come with.
If you spend 2 days building a network for one shader, in this example dirt, then there is not a lot of time to "sculpt" anything else.

Of course, this is a post that agrees with you. But I feel complete empathy with those who can successfully hide a bad terrain.

It has been eaten.

Hetzen

Quote from: TheBadger on September 17, 2012, 01:38:10 AM
QuoteObjects, even if it trees and plants are a way of hiding bad terrain.

^^This is my favorite way to accept/deny the difficult nature of Terragen. But when you say "sculpt" I just cringe. Because Terragen as it is, means sculpting with nodes. Though that would not be a problem if there were not so few nodes built in, requiring everyone to build gigantic node networks just to get one dirt shader TG2 should have come with.
If you spend 2 days building a network for one shader, in this example dirt, then there is not a lot of time to "sculpt" anything else.

Of course, this is a post that agrees with you. But I feel complete empathy with those who can successfully hide a bad terrain.

You are also dealing with artists on the cutting edge of what is possible. In any program!!! Sculpting is precisley the right word. TG doesn't just allow you to create great terrains, it allows you the language to make your own rules.

TheBadger

It allows you and certain other users to make your own rules. It allows me to follow along, a little bit.  ;)
It has been eaten.