Clamp The Peaks

Started by CCC, January 15, 2010, 12:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC

I have some high peaks i want to soft clamp were the flat tops are not entirely flat. I looked around the older threads concerning this issue and had not really found anything to specific unless i messed the obvious. Any help would be welcomed, thank you.

Henry Blewer

I use a strata shader. It needs to be set for high settings in the Hard Layer Steepness and Very high for the Plateau Buildup. On heightfields this works well with an erosion operator after the strata; it softens things up again.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

CCC

But will it limit it's effect on my highest peaks? I do not want this type of strata anywhere below my peaks. I can try it real quick here and see what happens of course.

Dune

I'm not sure, what I exactly did, but I got some flat tops by accident some time ago. I think by just clamping the colors (perhaps with a color adjust or in the fractal node?).... but I'm not sure. And then added some extra displacement to the flattened tops to offset their flatness.

---Dune

CCC

Matt's example inverts the entire terrain creating a canyon but i only want to shave off the peaks without inverting anything. Color Adjust is doing nothing unless i am simply not understanding it's function.

FrankB

then just increase the constant value to a higher point, so that just the peaks are cut off.

CCC

If you mean the contrast value in my power fractal i am and it is doing nothing either.

FrankB

no I mean the constant in Matt's example

CCC

CCC

Worked, just had to get it into the thousands. Thank you much.    ;D

FrankB