Question on Terrain Generators...

Started by elipsis1, March 06, 2012, 01:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elipsis1

I am currently looking at World Machine and GeoControl.

Any thoughts on which would better suit someone trying to do sci-fi scenes?

Also, is there such a thing as a procedural terrain that can be imported?  I doubt it, but figured I would ask the experts!  ;D

I have the WM free version and am playing around with it. 

Thanks!

rcallicotte

Lots of intelligent opinions here, but I bought GeoControl because I liked the end results.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

N810

I think they both have a 30 day trial you can download...  ;)
Hmmm... wonder what this button does....

elipsis1

Yep, I'm trying them out :)

World Machine Pro does 8k resolution, geocontrol maxes at 4k.

I guess from "looks" the flows in geocontrol look a lot better.

I have seen excellent terrains come from both...

Hmm decisions desicions...

Tangled-Universe

I use World Machine, but mostly from a historical point of view, since it was there first compared to GeoControl.
Also, the GeoControl UI and workflow is a complete mystery to me.
It's newer, but it looks incredibly outdated and non-intuitive to me.

sjefen

I use World Machine as well and I love it  :)
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

penboack

Another factor to consider is that GeoControl works on Mac OS X (Intel) and Windows, whereas World Machine only works on Windows.

Oshyan

I haven't used either in quite a while (though I was an early beta tester for World Machine years ago), but as far as I know they still break down in a similar way:

World Machine is largely procedural and node-based, similar to Terragen 2. You generally don't use it to create super explicit terrain forms (e.g. "painting" a mountain), but rather you create realistic terrain procedurally that looks like you want it to look, but is not necessarily an exact shape. You can create paths, guides, etc. to control the shape, but it's still not the same as painting explicit shapes.

Geoocontrol is more of a terrain "painting" app, intending to give more direct control and feedback, but it does seem to have less procedural power and pro-type features in general (e.g. tiled terrain, 8k terrains, etc.). Geocontrol does have very nice river tools and general erosion.

Which you prefer will then depend, I think, largely on what interface approach you prefer. If you like TG2's node-based UI and "node graph" data flow approach to creating, then World Machine may be for you. If you prefer a more explicit, direct, "painterly" approach, Geocontrol is probably more your speed. Which terrain output you prefer is, I think, a personal preference. I find both WM and GC to have realistic and beautiful terrain output in the right hands.

- Oshyan

efflux

I think Worldmachine is a really cool app. I've used that in the past a few times but only for Terragen (old version). However, it's best to try to get effects in TG2 as much as possible.

The one thing TG2 can't do is erosion on faily gentle slopes. Things like these channels you see here:

http://world-machine.com/gallery/index.php?page=0&sort=recent&entry=59

However, when the slope is more sever like this:

http://world-machine.com/gallery/index.php?page=2&sort=recent&entry=20

There are in fact methods to get closer to this in TG2. I've been experimenting with it and it will take some time to fine tune. There is a hint of what I'm taking about in a file I just posted in file sharing but that is just the start and the thread is really more to demonstrate another technique.

Probably some time soon I'll post a bunch of WIPs in image sharing because nothing I've done in the last few weeks is finished. You'll see a hint of what I'm talking about in one render I'll post there.