Which one?

Started by Lady of the Lake, March 05, 2012, 10:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady of the Lake

I have read tuts on the Fake rocks.   One said to put them as a terrain, the other as a surface layer.  Are both correct?  Which one is best?  I am confused.

Also, how do I get just two or three rocks?.....no matter what I seem to try I get a whole bunch.  LOL

Zairyn Arsyn

i normally use the Surface Layer, because you can add coloring with.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

choronr

Under 'File Sharing', there are a number of .tgd files you can download to get a better picture of how you can treat this subject ...give it a try.

Dune

You can use them either before compute terrain (they just give displacement), or as child of a surface layer (with colors). Huge, for large rock outcrops before compute terrain, or small like beach pebbles or sand, which will usually be done after compute terrain. If you just want a few, why not use the internal rock object. You can place them where you like.

Lady of the Lake

Thanks everyone.  Will try all suggested.

Oshyan

The basic rule of thumb for shaders that create displacement is, when the shader will create large displacements, it should go before the Compute Terrain (so that textures and object distribution after it will be placed correctly, based on the computed terrain results), whereas smaller displacements would go after the Compute Terrain in the Shaders area, especially in cases where a shader (like a Power Fractal) potentially provides both color *and* displacement.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

Quote from: Oshyan on March 07, 2012, 07:31:10 PM
The basic rule of thumb for shaders that create displacement is, when the shader will create large displacements, it should go before the Compute Terrain (so that textures and object distribution after it will be placed correctly, based on the computed terrain results), whereas smaller displacements would go after the Compute Terrain in the Shaders area, especially in cases where a shader (like a Power Fractal) potentially provides both color *and* displacement.

- Oshyan

Thank you for that. It is the clearest most understandable statement I have come across, on the compute terrain subject!
Oshyan, can you give just as simple and straight forward a statement on the reverse. That is, in general, do not follow this rule of thumb if... Or, is there no reverse. Not following this rule will likely always cause problems?
It has been eaten.

Lady of the Lake

Thanks everyone.  Appreciated.