Atrium

Started by dandelO, March 11, 2012, 06:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freelancah

Very nice work. Looking forward of the animation if you manage to finish it. What kind of rendertimes are you having ?

dandelO

Cheers! :)

Freelancah, using a dualx2ghz it took me around an hour to render the smaller image on page 1 with RTE, with purposely very high lighting and AA quality. The large image was 4x that but again with purposely high settings. If it is animated, I'll need to cut that all back quite some. I'm able to half the time without too much difference in visual quality, I need more than that, and for less time still, though. WIP... :D

jo

Looking good dandelO!

dandelO

Gannaingh

All of these look really good! I'll have to download that model and play with it some! I'm looking forward to wherever you go with this  :)

Kevin F

Very nice work dandelO, I've also been playing around with this model, but I can't get the floor to take the tile image or even a diffuse colour. Did you come across this? I've passed the model through Poseray and allocated all the image maps twice now and still can't get the floor to take any other colour/image. ???

dandelO

Hi, Kevin. I didn't have any problems with the model. I opened it with Carrara, stripped the flag and fabric parts, re-exported to Poseray and saved for TG. All the textures worked fine. Carrara usually exports fine for TG on it's own but it's easier to check all the texture maps are loaded in Poseray. I'll see if I can upload the edited .obj anywhere later.

Kevin F

Ha Ha! just sussed it! I had the model at 0,0,0 which puts the floor beneath the surface, so I was rendering the base layer! Just raised it off the floor and hey presto there's the tiles!
Thanks anyway.

dandelO

Ah, good good. I had the surface disabled on the planet so I didn't notice that. :D

dandelO

Please ignore the horrid blur/smear effects, even at high GI settings there was really terrible lighting flash between frames. I used GI 2/16/32 and it was still pathetic looking. The smoothing in the video was necessary to blend frames into one another, and still there is flashing.

This is why I never render TG animations with GI, there's really no way, at the moment, that you could sensibly use it with consistent light across frames. Roll on these GI improvements for animation that I've been hearing about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fv6RGUOTyY

Kevin F

That's still very nice though dandelO. The textures really look good on the stonework. But the GI improvements are really what's needed.
Did you re-scale the model to life size?

TheBadger

I really want to thank you martin, for all of the experimenting you do and share.
This software would kill all of my patients without people like you lighting the way.
I truly hope this good nature of yours is rewarded.
It has been eaten.

Kadri

I had enough problems without GI , in my animation Martin ;)  You have patience !

dandelO

The sequence files looked horrible with default video settings, Kadri. I had to use some smoothing and blur filters to smear out the flickering, it really wasn't nice at all.

I used GI relative detail=2, sample quality=16, blur radius=32(this with a 'ray detail multiplier of '1', too). It was still terrible. I won't be trying to improve on it until there is proper, working GI that is able to be used in sequences, raising quality even further isn't really an option that I savour.

Kadri

Quote from: dandelO on March 22, 2012, 03:11:10 PM
The sequence files looked horrible with default video settings, Kadri. I had to use some smoothing and blur filters to smear out the flickering, it really wasn't nice at all.
I used GI relative detail=2, sample quality=16, blur radius=32(this with a 'ray detail multiplier of '1', too). It was still terrible. I won't be trying to improve on it until there is proper, working GI that is able to be used in sequences, raising quality even further isn't really an option that I savour.

My video looked bad too (flickering etc.Used the same postwork).
But i had to use low settings to make it out before 2015 as Hannes is now heading :D
I really doubt that there is someone who uses GI settings (for animations) other then the lucky ones with a render farm near by :)

I can feel your pain when you saw the raw animation Martin !