Atrium

Started by dandelO, March 11, 2012, 06:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

Couple of GI tests with this model, the first(empty room) uses just the sun and GI, the second(ivy test) uses 4 interior lights with GI.
It's hard to get the GI penetrating deep into the shadows so some strange envirolight settings were used. I know the common method is to use values of 1 for envirolight strength values and then increase camera exposure but it was never enough here. I used GI strength on surfaces=5 and strength in atmo=3.

* Some texture mirroring on the roof of the model that I'd normally fix in post but I haven't wasted too much time on this for now.

dandelO

#2, with interior lighting only, no sun.

[attachimg=#]

dandelO

I don't remember the Ivy Gen' being so problematic with so many floating/disconnected leaves.

Oshyan

It's a pretty complicated model/environment. I wonder if that's throwing off IvyGen.

Interesting results so far though. That first sun+GI result looks pretty decent. TG's GI algorithm is not optimized for indoor stuff, but it's working ok there. I've actually always been curious what this classic GI test would look like in TG, heh.

- Oshyan

dandelO

I did a little post adjustment on them both but nothing major. Here's the first one without any balance/correction.

TheBadger

Wow.

Image 1 looks like movie quality to me. Image 2 has some issues as you already pointed out. WHat were your render times Martin, as expected or something else?
Quote from: dandelO on March 11, 2012, 06:17:16 PM
I don't remember the Ivy Gen' being so problematic with so many floating/disconnected leaves.

I found it to be rather stable but finicky nonetheless.

P.S. I know you mentioned the details Of the building before, but I cant remember now, did you Make this structure?
It has been eaten.

dandelO

I didn't make it, no. The model can still be found here on the Crytek downloads page.

I used really high render/lighting settings and that made the large image around 4 hours, the small one took 1. I could get that time down a lot with a little juggling, I'll update with more at some point.

elipsis1

This is an excellent image! 

Kadri

Very nice images Martin :)

I did a test some time ago with this object. It is as you said not easy to light.
As Oshyan said this object does show that TG2 prefers outdoor scenes .

Dune

Yes, Ivygen makes more or less random squares, so not all leaves are attached. It's also a pity you can't hit several starting points for combined total ivy. You have to save each 'plant' by itself. At least, that's how far I understand it.
By the way, I think you need to reduce the leave sizes, Martin. And thanks for the link, it's a very intriguing model.

j meyer

The sun lit version is really nice.

otakar

I am salivating over #1. Animate! :)

mesocyclone

#1 is simply amazing
I can even imagine a soundtrack to the animation...  ;D

dandelO

Jeez! You guys are further on with this .tgd than I am! :D I have started on animating something with this but it won't be done for a while yet.
Btw, I can also hear the soundtrack already, Mesocyclone. :)

inkydigit

sweet scene setup...looking forward to more!
:)