Stepped Terrain

Started by efflux, March 13, 2012, 10:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

It might not actually be that clear why I made the graph this way.

Set all the multipliers to 0. Increase the displacement node value to get a bit more height then render. Set the multipliers to 0.05 and render again and so forth. I tried to give a bit of versatilty without it getting complex.

Dune

Thanks for all this, efflux!

mogn

My version of a stepped Perlin (scale 1000, displacement 800)

efflux

That's interesting Mogn.

What we should do is make specific stepping graphs for specific styles of terrain based on still having the ranges of steps changable but design the profiles of each step instead of always using smooth steps. Since we don't have a curve graph, this is the only way. For example, the monument valley buttes. You'd want another profile for the deposition area. The general arrangement would be tweakable but each step region would be a specific part of a specific terrain. For example, I found that often a sharp edge on the top ridge works rather than using smooth step there. This is one place where sharp edges work because it's a hard rock outcrop.

efflux

Next test render.

I think I'll delete the file in the first post and move the newer stepped terrain there.

This is another blending of the various methods. Much better technique this time than in the cliff face in that previous render. It's different but that one was not efficient. Stepped terrain and voronoi negative displacement with altitude blending of terrain. What I'll do is sort out the more complex voronoi thing and put that in the other thread. You want to start with the steps first anyway then add in the other stuff. The files will be self explanatory as to where to put stuff.

Mogn, I just did the add for the cascaded voronoi this time. No need really for extra multiplications to get different displacements no matter if blue nodes or red nodes. This is rendering fast now. I'll take a look at what you did with those blue nodes. Those kinds of soft undulations are cool.

Next phase will be to split this off into Bryce Canyon and Monument Valley. Bryce Canyon is possible but it might have to wait.

AP

Speaking of Bryce Canyon, i found an interesting perspective of such features in that area.

efflux

Bryce Canyon will be possible. I just didn't get there as soon as I thought I would. TG2 can handle the surfaces of Bryce Canyon no problem. As for the terrain, we need stepped terrain and we need a deposition effect. The towers will require a lot of tweakery with shapes that cut into the steps. The last image I did shows slightly more of this cutting. It's still a step but it's cut into. I have another file I did a while back that goes slightly more in this direction but other than that part of the technique it doesn't look very cool so I never posted a render.

The file at the start of this thread is deleted and replaced with the newer one. I didn't want that to remain there because it was quite slow to render.

AP

The interesting thing about Bryce is the deep cut erosion is what creates the tall features so it needs to be iterated a few times which looks like you are close to that already then doing the sediment talus at there bases but they have to match up to look as of it is flowing from the cuts themselves. Way beyond me. Everything else, the horizontal strata types and larger scale displacement along the eroded mounds would be easy to do. These are very interesting tests and can't wait to see the end results. These can act as a springboard to make some neat features for Canyonlands National Park in Utah as well. Arches is a whole other story.  ;)

mogn

Quote from: efflux on March 16, 2012, 10:57:23 AM
That's interesting Mogn.

What we should do is make specific stepping graphs for specific styles of terrain based on still having the ranges of steps changable but design the profiles of each step instead of always using smooth steps. Since we don't have a curve graph, this is the only way. For example, the monument valley buttes. You'd want another profile for the deposition area. The general arrangement would be tweakable but each step region would be a specific part of a specific terrain. For example, I found that often a sharp edge on the top ridge works rather than using smooth step there. This is one place where sharp edges work because it's a hard rock outcrop.

The reason that the soft step works giving the soft looks, is that the slope in the endpoints are zero.
Your remark about missing a curve graph give me an idea:

Replace the soft step with a spine curve defined by seven values, the two first values and the two last values taken from the Perlin, and the 3 middle values
from another fractal e.g. the 3 components of a voronoi vector. This will give a soft but varied landscape.

efflux

Those ideas sound interesting.

I haven't actually looked at your graph yet. The main reason for this is that I'm taking a break for now with TG2. I'll probably look back at this stuff some time in the near future.

efflux

Here's a small variation on the final steps file at the start of the thread. Instead of using a constant value to create the step heights, this file uses a perlin noise so that the steps don't occur at the same level of height. It makes for a distorted stepping like many terrains in the real world. Each step could be treated in all sorts of different ways. The constant for the step heights in the first file could be distorted.

efflux

Here's another variation. Each step is treated differently. This gives more variety.

efflux

Here's another variation. I just tweaked some parameters in the Steps 10 file. Instead of those regular steps we can get subtle step height changes.

efflux

Here's that last scene slightly tweaked with some simple colour and water added. The first step is around the shore area. Sometimes going beneath the water. This kind of thing makes the water blend in as if it's reacting with the terrain. Eroding it, depositing or whatever.

Bjur

Uuh, it looks fantastic!

As Noobie i would love to get the chance to analize the last .tgd scene with the water and stuff..

Could/would you share this file too?   :D

*Cheers
Alex
~ The annoying popularity of Vue brought me here.. ~