render times windows 7 64 vs mac os x 10.6.8?

Started by coremelt, March 25, 2012, 01:00:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coremelt

Hi, is it to be expected that theres any significant render time difference on windows 7 vs mac os x?  I have a hackintosh system and my render times are currently twice as fast under windows 7.  I know partly thats an issue from the current osx86 install, I need to tweak the DSDT file but I'm curious if theres any known difference?

Should it be exactly the same on both OS if I have the machine setup correctly?

jo

Hi,

My experience is that render times are pretty close across platforms. What version of TG2 are you using?

Regards,

Jo

coremelt

i'm using version 2.3.21.1.  Ok good to know they should be the same speed.  It's a hackintosh issue, I have an i7 980 3.33Ghz 6 core / 12 thread CPU.  Under Windows 7 Terragen reports 12 cores on startup, but under Mac OS X it only reports 8 Cores.

However wasn't sure if the thread count reported was really what the OS was using.

There will be a solution, I just need to find the correct DSDT file to enable the cores properly.

TheBadger

coremelt

Can you share any info on over clocking mac pros?
It has been eaten.

coremelt

It's not a mac pro, it's a hackintosh system, start reading here: http://tonymacx86.com/

If you have a Intel CPU and Intel Chipset you can install Mac OS X on almost any PC, and using a normal retail snow leopard DVD as well, I installed it on an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard with an Intel Core i7 6 core 3.33Ghz CPU in it, and it's not overclocked, that's the CPU freq as sold.

You just need to download iBoot, burn it to a CD and start the install process using a retail snow leopard DVD, then use Multibeast to install the extra drivers etc that you need depending on your motherboard.

Matt

Terragen 2.3 does have some threading issues which we have fixed for v2.4. Those issues may be more pronounced on Mac OS X.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.