Accidental Stars

Started by WAS, December 09, 2014, 01:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Well... I am trying to make a realistic sun. The idea I had in mind was a light source within a atmosphere. Using clouds for the suns surface. However, my light source doesn't show, at all within the disabled terrain of my planet. Any ideas?

On to the treat. In attempting this process of using a planet as a sun, I accidentally came up with a very easy star field... This effect is caused by my light source within the terrain... Lol

Now, the unique thing about this approach, is it seems the stars colors and dimness are controlled by the atmosphere and scattering. Not sure, but that may allow some unique controls.

Dune

I made you a glowing sun. It needs very high numbers, but it works.

mhall

Dune, that's really rather cool! :)

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Must try that stars technique when I finish forum-ing....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Quote from: Dune on December 10, 2014, 04:22:21 AM
I made you a glowing sun. It needs very high numbers, but it works.

Thanks bud I'll take a look. I got it working last night, was just having issues with my haze being blotchy at such grand scales (cranked quality up to 32) And had issues with light casting.

I get a whole lot of errors when opening the file, though I am assuming this is from the update yesterday and I'm sure you are using it?

In conclusion this is very well done. Actually very much what I was attempting. Thanks a lot for the working model. I see a few of my mistakes right off the bat.

Having issues with the background being partly masked however but definitely learning a lot about the limitations of a model solar system xD I think Terragen could render amazing space scenes with just the addition of a global space (to fill all space in a scene, with clouds, dust, haze, w/e) to allow space scene lighting and environmental effects. This would also allow one to easily insert a light source, put some localized clouds around it for a plasma effect and have a sun anywhere in the scene causing light propagation throughout giving a realistic space effect.

bobbystahr

Yup, that's all update stuff in those error messages
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Yes, but off yesterday or so, we're all on the same version again.

WAS

Or really? Is my demo suppose to get a update? I did the "Check for Updates" and it said there was none.

Oshyan

Check the About box (under Help menu), what version are you running?

- Oshyan

WAS

Oshyan

Just go to the Free Version download page and download the installer again (you have to enter your email address again but it doesn't mean you'll get double emails).

- Oshyan

WAS

Thanks Ohsyan. That worked. :P