Making plants for terragen from scratch

Started by TheBadger, March 30, 2012, 07:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

This is only a test.

[attachimg=1]

I have about 5-10 more models to make for this collection, also have to fix the ones I got. Then I will make an "alien" plant collection to complement the fantasy group.
Comment and suggestions welcome. Also, there are two questions I posted above, if anyone knows the answers ;)

No worries.
It has been eaten.

Dune

They look really nice, TheBadger. How about some fungi that grow on tree trunks? I just got this idea; if you make some of these flattish outgrowing fungi, and let them have several heights in a rough circle, populate them with the same seed as the trees, they would grow on the trees. You'd have to figure out the right size and maybe outward displacement a bit...

TheBadger

Thanks Kadri & Ulco

Ulco, I think I know the plant object you mean, but your method is difficult to understand.
It has been eaten.

Dune

I might try something.... like these.

choronr

Very good progress by you Badger, looking forward to seeing your progress. Lichens are also a good subject to try - there are many varieties of these.

TheBadger

Some more testing of these objects.

[attachimg=1]

It has been eaten.

TheBadger

no texture on these yet. Just wanted to see where they were going.

[attachimg=1]

It has been eaten.

TheBadger

[attachimg=1]

@Ulco,

Yeah thats something I had planed on making. But I never thought to do it the way you mentioned. I think its a good idea if I plan on multiple shots. Not sure yet. Have to make the models look good first.

@choronr
Thanks
It has been eaten.

Kadri

I like your progress very much TheBadger. They look very good  :)

TheBadger

:) Thanks Kadri

I'm having trouble with adding my bump map in TG2. I am guessing that I need to add my bump map in the displacement tab of my material shader. Is this correct???!
If so, what are the multiplier, image, function, and offset settings for, what are they supposed to do?
[attach=1]
It has been eaten.

Dune

Correct, find and insert you bump image there. Just experiment; if you set the multiplier higher you get more bump, if you insert a power fractal in the function input, the bump is affected by image as well as PF. Offset makes the bump raise/lower from you offset, which I never use, by the way.
But you can also add a no color PF between the parts shader and the default, with displacement. That adds bump as well.

By the way: I did some simple tree fungus. Same seed and X/Z-rotation offset (in objects) and they stick to the trees.

TheBadger

Thanks again Ulco!

I like what you did! I was going to make plants just for the fungus. But your method is way way better. Much smarter use of time.
Did it work just like you thought. or did you run into difficulties?
It has been eaten.

Dune

It worked as I hoped, but the thing you have to take into account is the diameter of a tree trunk. If you make a bunch of fungi all around an (absent) cylinder, the tree must have the same diameter. If you stick them to one side, like a quarter of the perimeter, you can use the X or Z offset in the fungi object to move it out to fit the tree trunk.

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist