Garden of Eternity animation published

Started by Oshyan, April 04, 2012, 09:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Well, it almost took an eternity to make it out of production but here, at long last, is the final Garden of Eternity animation! The forums are getting a special early look at it, before our website is updated with the news. Enjoy!

YouTube HD:
http://youtu.be/5346KBotVaY?hd=1

Link to download the original for playing on your computer at highest quality, MP4 format, h.264 compression:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/mediafiles/garden_final.mp4 (365MB)

Congratulations and special thanks to Ulco Glimmerveen for his contest winning entry, and his help and patience throughout the animating and rendering process. We learned a lot working on this project and Terragen has honestly improved significantly as a result of issues we discovered and/or tested with this scene. It is a particularly demanding setup for TG to render well, and I believe we've really been able to make it shine with new systems like Global Illumination Caching and Blending in Terragen 2.4. We hope to do similar projects like this in the future, and we will be able to do so much more quickly and efficiently thanks to improvements in tools and process based on this experience.

Thanks also go to the NWDA crew and everyone in our community who has been waiting for this for so long. Your patience and understanding have been greatly appreciated. We hope it was worth the wait.

- Oshyan

Kadri

Nice to see the end result.
Congrats Ulco :)

Osyhan can you write some more things about the technical side like the settings,render time and if the animation was all made in TG2 or not please ?

Oshyan

I'll try to put some more details together soon (I can say it was all made in TG2, at the least). I've got some other thing to dedicate time to at the moment though. ;D

- Oshyan

Kadri

OK ! I hope the blackout will not last long  :)
The animation was smooth. The new animation additions are worth it seems.

cyphyr

Good to see it finally out there. Great scene wit plenty of "mini" environments in it, very nicely done :)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

dandelO

Damn, I won't get to see this for another day or so, I'm on mobile broadband just now and I've went right over my fair usage policy so most video files get blocked for the rest of the month for me now.

The .mp4, that I should still be able to download, is returning a server error when I try, has anyone else managed to access it or is it just me?

Kadri

Quote from: dandelO on April 05, 2012, 11:36:37 AM
The .mp4, that I should still be able to download, is returning a server error when I try, has anyone else managed to access it or is it just me?

I downloaded it this morning. Tried it now ones again and got no error Martin.

dandelO

otakar

I checked to make sure April 1 has passed, then I went to download this thing.  ;D  No problems.

Ulco, congratulations for finally(!) seeing your work rendered. You can be proud, as it is a masterpiece, with the variety of scenes you have created in your garden. Nothing feels out of place or unnatural. As for the animation, it of course suffers from the static nature of a world frozen in time. Some subtle leaves movement, waves, swans gliding, etc. would have made a huge difference, but it seems some of these things are just now getting figured out as how to implement them without hurting render time too much. I thought some nature sounds would not have hurt either, but that's personal preference.

I will have to watch this again a few times now....

Hannes

Just WOW! Ulco, you really deserve the first price! Just watched it in low quality and downloading the HD file now. Can't wait!

Oshyan

The swans do move, though no ripples in the water. ;) Also the hawk/buzzard thing at the end turns and moves... But yes, some wind motion would have been nice. Not really feasible just yet, but one day.

- Oshyan

dandelO

Oh yes, I can see it now, very nice indeed! Patience really pays! Well done, Ulco. :)

Dune

Thanks guys, and many credits to Oshyan who put 18 months of hard labour in this animation  ;)
As this was made 18 months ago, the quality of the environment is already dated (I/we am/are much better now). We only just found out how population variation worked when this was initialized. In the initial tgd I still worked with projection from above onto the population, so we changed that halfway.
My modeling skills were also very basic back then. If you look closely you can find some errors.

But on the whole, I am very pleased, and proud.

On to the next challenge (and contest?).......

FrankB

Congratulations Ulco and Oshyan, for this gorgeous animation! I have watched this over my apple tv on the big TV, and there it looks even more like a real environment.

Granted, there is no wind and such, but I managed to get lost in the beauty of the environment anyway.

Frank

masonspappy

Congratulations guys. This is just plain damn beautifull!!!!!