TGD.exe Error

Started by Buzzzzz, April 27, 2007, 03:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzzzz

Wondering if anyone else ever gets this ERROR rendering water? Every time I have a scene setup with water I seem to get this error and TG has to close. Fortunately I rendered the middle portion of the scene cropped thinking ahead that this would happen again, otherwise 12 hours of render time would have been lost.

At this point I don't know if it's my machine or TG thats causing this?

rcallicotte

What happens when you click on the Technical Information link?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Buzzzzz

Quote from: calico on April 27, 2007, 04:19:17 PM
What happens when you click on the Technical Information link?

It says it wants to send a report to microsoft. I can view the technical Info but it doesn't save it unless I send the info to microsoft. I have sent it numerous times with out any response or updates to fix the problem if it is indeed a windows problem and not a Terragen error. So at this point I'm not sending MS a Damn thing! It's none of their fricking business!   ;D LOL I guess I'm the only one with this problem because I see water being rendered all over the place.

Maybe it's my piece of shit computer? 3.2 Gig P4 with 3 Gig of ram and only 20 processes running in task manager. You got me???

I guess I just need to put TG aside for a year or two until things are fixed.

Tim O'Donoghue

While you're waiting, you could run a very thorough memory test. It won't take nearly a year.

Tim O

Buzzzzz

Quote from: Tim O'Donoghue on April 27, 2007, 06:48:14 PM
While you're waiting, you could run a very thorough memory test. It won't take nearly a year.

Tim O

Thanks Tim, been there done that.  Ran Memtest86+ and the test from Microsoft with no errors.

Tim O'Donoghue

That's good.  One less thing to troubleshoot.

... and it saves me the trouble of looking up the name, which, oddly enough for a memory test, I could not remember.  ::)

Buzzzzz

Quote from: Tim O'Donoghue on April 27, 2007, 08:07:24 PM
That's good.  One less thing to troubleshoot.

... and it saves me the trouble of looking up the name, which, oddly enough for a memory test, I could not remember.  ::)

Yeah, my Wife tells me I have memory issues also. She calls it C.R.S. (Can't Remember Sh_t!)   ;D

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

I dont know whats causing the error but the render in the background is looking awesome!!...:D
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Oshyan

Water is a well-known and fairly widely discussed problem Buzzzzz. We'll be working on a major overhaul to the water rendering in the near future (which will enable transparency among other things). The results of that won't be seen for a few months I'm afraid, but I think you'll be pleased once they're available. In the meantime you can try reducing displacement or overall complexity/detail of the water. When a lot of interreflection occurs, as on a rough water surface, crashing tends to occur more frequently.

By the way that looks like a St. Helens scene there, and a superb one at that. I fear it may put mine (in progress) to shame. :(

- Oshyan

Buzzzzz

Quote from: Oshyan on April 28, 2007, 02:16:18 AM
Water is a well-known and fairly widely discussed problem Buzzzzz. We'll be working on a major overhaul to the water rendering in the near future (which will enable transparency among other things). The results of that won't be seen for a few months I'm afraid, but I think you'll be pleased once they're available. In the meantime you can try reducing displacement or overall complexity/detail of the water. When a lot of interreflection occurs, as on a rough water surface, crashing tends to occur more frequently.

By the way that looks like a St. Helens scene there, and a superb one at that. I fear it may put mine (in progress) to shame. :(

- Oshyan

Actually at this point I leave the water at default settings so not to push the envelope. I've tried attaching a power fractal for some displacement and color change but that was for nil also.  :)   I'm thinking the ground level 3D cumulus and water, in addition to the population of trees in the foreground may be a bit to much for TG to Digest at this stage of the game. If I have to remove either of these elements the whole vision of the scene will be lost. I will try one more time and if it crashes I'll just put it in my "TO Be Rendered" Folder awaiting the next update.

Thanks to everyone for your Input!  :)

Jay

Buzzzzz

Quote from: Oshyan on April 28, 2007, 02:16:18 AM

- Oshyan

uhh?? Oshyan, I doubt that this image will be better than yours, because  with your experience and the amount of time and care you are taking to produce a Mt. Saint scene. I'm sure your's will put mine to shame but thanks for your kind words and vote of confidence.  :)

sonshine777

Buzzzzz,

You could use Oshyans fill lights and turn off GI, then try doing the render in quarters. 
I have also had some success by turning up the camera exposer by .3 to .6. Doing this seems to
give the "Enviro light" more control so you can make the shadows softer. :)

Buzzzzz

Quote from: sonshine777 on April 28, 2007, 11:32:28 AM
Buzzzzz,

You could use Oshyans fill lights and turn off GI, then try doing the render in quarters. 
I have also had some success by turning up the camera exposer by .3 to .6. Doing this seems to
give the "Enviro light" more control so you can make the shadows softer. :)

Thanks, but in fact I've been using the fill lights from Oshyan since he offered them to the community. I don't use the GI settings at all, Zero them out and make sure they are unchecked. I had problems like the sun showing through the terrain and red artifacts in the sky. I do Appreciate you suggestion non the less.  :)

Thanks Again!  :)
Jay