Caribbean Coast

Started by Hannes, April 05, 2012, 12:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

I had to take a break from my nebulae animation and wanted to create something completely different, since I felt a little lost in space for such a long (render-)time ;D
The shipmodel was already used in my Caribbean animation I made for the last NWDA contest. I had to lighten up the textures a little bit by making them slightly self-illuminating, since they seemed to be too dark.
There is a fill light setup, which I use most of the time when I don't need GI.
It's a combination of several terrains. Some of them were made in GeoControl, some others were old .ter-files I found in my archive.

Little postwork: scaling down (original render 3000X1277 - Rendertime: approx. 14 hours), increasing the contrast a bit and adding some chromatic aberration (I love that!)

Kevin F

Love this image. The clouds are superb and the overall mood is hot and humid. I particularly like the foam on the shore it looks so real.
My one crit would be the size of the palm tree, to me it looks too big compared to the size of the boat, even allowing for the perspective.

TheBadger

I think this is one of the finest works posted in this forum since I have been a member, among the best TG2 images I have seen. Hannes, if you see any little details that don't sit right with you as the artist, You should most definitely pursue perfection. This one is worth it!.. I'm not bothered by the scale of the tree relative to the ship. The ship is clearly much further away. Although a much larger render would help to make that certain.

Very nice.
It has been eaten.

buzzzzz1

XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

otakar

Superb clouds! Love the colors as well.

Kadri

Hannes this looks great  :)

From a technical side i have nothing to say. The clouds, the ship ,the postwork is nice.
My only nitpicking would be that this looks more like a frame from a epic widescreen movie then a still image .
Do you want to animate this too Hannes?
I feel that the ship should sail every second from left to right . But of course this is subjective  :)

masonspappy

Beautiful Job! Not sure there's much else to say

Hannes

Thanks a lot for your kind words, guys.
@Kevin: I used a FOV of 40, that means I zoomed in for that image, so things may look closer to each other than they really are. Actually the palm tree is rather too small compared to the ship (see the attached image - both objects side by side). I took the liberty to adjust the size of the tree a little bit so that it fits better into the image.

@The Badger: Wow, thank you. In my eyes it's a final image. Normally it takes a long time for me until I put an image into the gallery, because I'm the biggest nitpicker concerning my own images. I was tempted to upload it almost a week ago, but I found an awful lot of things to be fixed. There was no ship in the image at this time, no birds, there was a lot of shader work and even the shore foam looked different (more soapy or like sinful moments in the bathtub a long long time ago ;D ;D ;D).
That doesn't mean of course that I'd not be open for suggestions or crits, don't get me wrong.

@Kadri (or should I say "Kardi"? ;)):
You nailed it! I thought of a wide screen movie frame when I chose this aspect ratio. I was even tempted to add some black bars above and below the image to create a letterbox effect.
But no, I won't animate it! I made some tests with a masked cloud layer directly above the water surface as spray like I did in my NWDA-Caribbean animation. The rendertimes are insane! So without some spray for the bow wave for example or at the shore it wouldn't look right. Also the palm leaves should be swaying in the wind (OK, this should be possible if I'd use dandelO's solution)
Maybe when I have another computer. When I'm grown up.

Something off topic: the german slang word for "nitpicker" is "Korinthenkacker" which directly translated means (in kind words) someone who produces raisins during defecation ;D, but recently I found another funny german word for that I hadn't heard yet which is "antfucker". Sorry for the nasty word but I'm only quoting Wikipedia! ;D

Kadri

Thanks for the explanation Hannes  :)

Quote from: Hannes on April 06, 2012, 09:19:39 AM
@Kadri (or should I say "Kardi"? ;)):

NO! You too  :D

Quote from: Hannes on April 06, 2012, 09:19:39 AM
Something off topic: the german slang word for "nitpicker" is "Korinthenkacker" which directly translated means (in kind words) someone who produces raisins during defecation ;D, but recently I found another funny german word for that I hadn't heard yet which is "antfucker". Sorry for the nasty word but I'm only quoting Wikipedia! ;D

This reminded me how much time passed since i was in Deutschland , Hannes ;D

Hannes

Das waren noch Zeiten, was? ;)

Kadri

Ja das waren es , Hannes  :D

Not sure when but i will-want travel to Germany at least ones more and see the places i played and what everybody does now.
Getting old is not nice  ...

mesocyclone

jamfull

nbk2

Schönes Bild habe trotzdem aber Mitleid mit den Ameisen ..  :(