Errors and Warnings window

Started by Erwin0265, April 14, 2012, 12:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erwin0265

Hi,
I am very much the newbie to TG2 and need some help.
I am currently studying the TGD, "Magestic" by Choronor.
It contains many plants that [if I even have them] will be located in different folders than Choronor would have his.
As a result, I am faced with 68 errors and the file renders without the plants; no surprise there.
What I need help with is how can I "tell Terragen 2" where my plants are located?
By this, I have to compare TG2 to Vue; when Vue is unable to find a certain object/texture/etc; is lets you know via a popup window [similar to that from TG2, but one item at a time] and then asks if you would like to manually find and redirect the program to the missing files.
From what I can find, there is nothing like that for TG2; but I'm sure that there must be - otherwise people wouldn't list TGD files with plants and other objects.
How do I remedy this?
I may have some of the same plants; if not, I also have most of Xfrogs plants [in.xfr format, but I can use  Xfrog.exe to convert them to .tgo format].
I primarily want to dissect this file as it is using a painted shader and distribution shader that I want to learn more about....
Anyway, I hope there are a few people out there currently, willing to share their wisdom.
PLEASE, if you have the time, anything complex [to the newbie], please include screencaps; I am very much a visual learner......
Thank you all.
Erwin ???
OK, who farted?

jo

Hi,

You can double click the list items in the Errors and Warnings window and if possible the parameter view for node related to the error will open. You can then make changes to the node like choose a new object etc. Not all items will open a parameter view.

For future reference this is improved in v2.4. The Errors and Warnings list includes a column for Reporter that shows the node which prompted the error. If there is a reporter then double clicking the item will open that node. If there is no reporter then there is no specific node associated with the error.

If you have some of the same models etc. that the project uses you can set up a User Content folder so TG2 can search that and see if it can locate the model. There is information about that here:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Preferences_-_Library_and_Content_Panel

Add a User Content folder for the folder that holds your models.

Regards,

Jo

Dune

As you're a newbie, I might like to add that it is important to keep your libraries intact and at the same location. At least, that's what I do. For any project you can draw your objects out of that main library, without setting up more project folders or copies of objects allover. But after that, never change the library location or rename anything.

It may be obvious what I just wrote, but I mention it nonetheless.

Erwin0265

Jo,
Thanks for your reply.
I found that double clicking on the "Object loader" entries in the "Errors and warnings" dialogue box does, indeed, result in a node parameter window opening.
Now that I know where to look for the location to import the missing items, the problem is a lot easier to work on.
I can see that I can enter the location of a particular object on my machine by opening each of the object nodes [or double-clicking on the "Object loader" in the Error and warnings window].
Another question [see attached screencap], however, in the same "Error and warnings" window, most of the errors start with "trimage"; what does this refer to?

Dune; thanks for the warning.
Although new to Terragen 2, I am fairly familiar with computers and also use several other graphic programs.
So, yeah, it is obvious.............for me - many other newbies wouldn't have had a clue and that little snippet of information could well save someone many hours of grief and frustration.
So I thank you, on behalf of any other newbies who end up reading this post and learning something quite important but generally overlooked by many experienced users.
I guess what I am trying to say is, just because I knew, don't let that stop you from warning other newbies in other posts.
What may be trivial to the experienced may prove essential to the newcomer..................
Cheers
Erwin
OK, who farted?