Winter scene

Started by Icegrip, April 16, 2012, 03:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icegrip

I purchased Terragen with animation module last week and this was one of my first render. I have also done a small animation which I will add later. Much more things to learn and the possibilities is endless :D

Thanks to DandelO for the icy snow shader. The trees I've created in X-frog. I think its just one poulation.

Any critics is welcome. Im not sure about what settings to use GI, Anti aliasing etc.

Dune

A well executed image. I like the composition. I do think the snow is a bit too grainy, but if this is really your first render it's very good!

mhaze

Great POV. Looks like some areas of Scotland - just as you are about to stagger up the hill!

Kadri

Nice image!
I like the composition too. Only would maybe change the clouds!

Icegrip

@Dune - Thanks, it was my first render with the "full edition". I have been playing around for some time with the free version. I agree with the grainy snow in the foreground. What can I do about that? Any setting that would get rid of that?

@mhaze - Thanks! I didnt know you had places like this in Scotland.

@Kadri - Thanks, and I agree about the clouds. I have one high level cirrus clouds 2d and low level cumlulus 3d. I had the pre-set quality value of 0.431497. Dont know if a higher setting would change the quality much?

Dune

Depends on what you use for your snow. It might have some tiny fake stones in it, then decrease their height or size. Or blend them by a power fractal to give the flakes a softer, more patchy distribution. In that respect you can also feed the fake stones through the child input of a surface layer (no color) and reduce its coverage to 0.5 or so.

Icegrip

@Dune - Thanks, I will see what I can do with similar scenes! Unfortunately I didnt save it.

Here is my very first animation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFNyUrWAdQg

640x480
AA 3

I want a faster computer..... :D