"skip existing files"

Started by tomatomic, April 29, 2007, 05:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomatomic

i would not expect a program so early in development to have this feather, but it would be very helpful in multiple machines rendering an animation. so i thought id post about it.

is there a way to have a "render sequence" to look at the directory its writing a file to and see that that frame already exists, and to move to the next frame that does not exist to render? i am pretty sure the renderer would have to place a marker file in that directory to tell other machines that frame is already being worked on.. which tg2 does not seem to do. if it did, it would be far easier to manage a network render. (this is something that i have done with both after effects and maya - in ae its part of the gui, while with maya, i had someone set up a batch file with that option for a job once).

i might be trying to use dark fire's tool on the next test render. ill play with it a bit later tonight..

tom

Oshyan

It seems like you might as well step up to a full job management solution once you're doing renders across multiple systems. That ought to help you with the problems you mention below and more. I'm not sure if anyone has a working setup for TG2 in any of the existing tools of this sort just yet (Drqueue, etc.), but as TG2 is further optimized and becomes more suited for general animation work I'm sure something will become available. Dark Fire's tools may well be a working solution already.

- Oshyan

tomatomic

what job management solutions are available that might work with tg2?
i regret im only familiar with cinema 4d net.. which is noob beginner amateur easy :-D

the batch for maya was very manual, easy, i had it set up to launch the same project on every client, and it rendered the sequence to the same directory. very nice...

Oshyan

I've seen mention of both DrQueue and Condor as potential solutions, although I'm not sure if anyone has gotten either to work smoothly yet.

- Oshyan