Question: Soft Shadows

Started by chadkruger, April 29, 2007, 12:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadkruger

Hi,

Does anyone know how to create a more realistic shadows in TG 2?  I'm certain it can be done, I just can't figure it out.  For instance, a shadow of a tree would have less defined shadows the further away from the tree you go.  Likewise, shadows of even the most high density clouds would still not be so hard lined as I seem to be getting.  Any advice is apprecitated.  Thanks.

- Chad Kruger

old_blaggard

You could try fiddling with the enviro light settings to help soften things up a little; however, TG2 doesn't actually have soft shadows built into its system yet, so there isn't any perfect solution right now.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

ProjectX

There is one technique that is a bit of a brute force method, and it will heavily increase your render times, but you could create a large group of sunlights in almost the same place (with slight variations in angle and heading on each). This will give the appearance of softened shadows, a bit anyway.

sonshine777

I found that raising the exposure on the render camera a bit (.3 to .6) seems to give the Enviro lighting more control in filling in shadowed areas, it doesn't however soften the edge. :)

Cyber-Angel

I believe that true soft-shadows will be coming in the final release, thats what I've been told is the case any way but we shall see.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

choronr

You might consider Oshyan's 'Fill Lights' file. This adds the typical bluish light on the shadows we see in nature and is the result of the sun's ultra violet rays. Do a search here on the forum for that file and how to apply it.

Bob

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?