Fill lighting test.

Started by bigben, April 29, 2007, 06:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Here's  a test I left running over the weekend to try out my fill lighting setup with fake stones.  I finally scaled things down correctly, although the displacement on the rocks doubled their size.. but I left them big to get some decent shadow detail.  Detail 2, AA 4, no GI, original render 2000x1000.

Full size render here http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~bernardk/tgdemo/rocky_valley2.jpg (1.2Mb). 

The shadows were still a bit dark so there's some post processing in Photoshop to bring out some extra detail,(Shadows lightened 25%) but the colour and detail held up to the adjustment.  I added an additional blue fill light from below (no shadows) to provide a bit of a kick under overhangs. I'm guessing the missing shadows of the rocks will be fixed with GI on rocks.

5 Lights, but only one casts shadows so there is not too much impact on render time.

Now to tweak the levels....

ProjectX

Right in the center of the image, I can't help but noticing a giant hedgehog!

old_blaggard

ProjectX - that's funny :P.

Ben - That's some pretty interesting displacement on the rocks.  However, I think that the grass could use a more realistic distribution, and I still feel as though the shadows are a bit dark.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

bigben

Quote from: ProjectX on April 30, 2007, 03:26:23 PM
Right in the center of the image, I can't help but noticing a giant hedgehog!

I saw that too

Quote from: old_blaggard on April 30, 2007, 05:26:52 PM
ProjectX - that's funny :P.

Ben - That's some pretty interesting displacement on the rocks.  However, I think that the grass could use a more realistic distribution, and I still feel as though the shadows are a bit dark.

The displacement's a bit extreme... I was just mucking around with settings to see what happened.

The grass spacing just needs to be reduced. I hadn't altered it after fixing the object scaling. I need a different model anyway. This one is OK if there is a lot of overlap between tiles but it looks odd when there's space between them.