Some of the things that I think I've never uploaded, in no specific order

Started by Chinaski, April 22, 2012, 09:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chinaski

Hi all!

4 years of playing (for free) with an old version of TG2 preview. That was good! Thanks to Planetside's team! Here's, a part of all the crap I've done (and was too lazy to upload). By the way, my computer is a terrible terrible terrible old mess. Find something inside is archeology... If you have questions about a scene, I'll try to: find the old tgd file, remember how I've done, and reply to you...

And I'm deeply sorry about trees, flowers, and grass, but I can't say precisely who've done this things. Just a hint: If it's beautifull that's probably from Walli's free pack or Xfrog's plantes or someone else from the forum, if it's horrible I'm probably the autor. ;)

After this too long and bad english speech: First thing first: Boobs!

You're welcome!

Next, some rock population:

(yes, I love the rocks)

And volcano!

You don't understand me ? That's normal, I don't speak english.

Chinaski

Jo Kariboo

Merci de nous faire voir ton excellent travail. J'aime particulièrement, MARINE, DÔME, DRAGONS EGGS, ASTERO ECLIPSE, PEAU D'ORANGE, ATMOSPERE BLEU.

Kadri

You should post more Chinaski !
You have kind of a different style. All your renders are interesting.
I liked the most the "DÔME" and"Dragon Eggs" images  :)

Chinaski

In 2009 I was working on a little city builder program with processing. I've never finished it, but you can see here some of the renders I made, by importing my city builder's very simple generated models in TG2. ;)

Chinaski

Thank you Jo & Kadri. Next post will be enormous, and about my more recent works, on textures... So it will take a little moment before I post it.

I hope the loading of the page isn't too long. :/

TheBadger

Theres a lot of really nice images here!

I like these the best

marine 0001- multiexpo
Dome caldera-panoramique
cristalsland 0006
Draganoon Eggs
peau-orange

If you want to talk about any of them, I would like to read what you have to say.
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

Lots of really cool stuff here! I'm glad you're finally sharing it. The 2nd volcano image is probably my favorite, some really great texturing.

The city stuff looks surprisingly good. With some decent textures on there, the results would be excellent I think. You never finished the original generator?

- Oshyan

Chinaski

Latest topic of this thread: Texture work!

Two years ago I decided to work with textures on 120 x 120 plan. That was little scenes, quick to render, and so, funnier to do (big scenes take forever to render with my antique computer).

Before I start, I must say that I can't share the bitmap textures. I collected a lot of surface's pictures since 2 years... Via a lot of differente sources. A good part of it is free to use and modify (creative commons), but some of them are not. And as my storage system is an incredible mess (I've already said that, I know), it's all mixed / jumbled.

So, I can't (and don't want) take the risk to share a texture that was made from a no-creative commons picture.

All that said, make a tiled texture is not very difficult. There are plenty tutorials on the internet. And you can find superb surface's pictures via google, Flickr (my favorite, with CC's search option), cgtextures, or other sources. The (faked) bumpmap is a little more tricky to do, but, if you want, we'll talk about it an other time. ;)

For now just a precision: I'm working with 2000x2000 pixels textures.

First thing, testing a texture on an environment (1 texture, 1 terrain):

After that I've started to work on a small scale (120 x 120 plan), with an unique texture, to "calibrate" it (levels and sharp in postwork):

Chinaski

And finally, mixing the différent textures. It's really easy to use, I think. You can control the displacement, the scale, the translation, of each textures; but also the way they mix, how they merge, how that define the vegetation's position, how the textures impact the stones, quickly, efficiently, etc.

Chinaski

I'm sure that some of you know how to do that with TG2 since a long time... But for me that was a very pleasant revelation. \o/

Time to sleep (7.15 Am). See you tomorow. :D

TheBadger

Quote...The (faked) bumpmap is a little more tricky to do, but, if you want, we'll talk about it an other time...
...For now just a precision: I'm working with 2000x2000 pixels textures...
...First thing, testing a texture on an environment (1 texture, 1 terrain):..
...After that I've started to work on a small scale (120 x 120 plan), with an unique texture, to "calibrate" it (levels and sharp in postwork):..
...And finally, mixing the différent textures. It's really easy to use, I think. You can control the displacement, the scale, the translation, of each textures; but also the way they mix, how they merge, how that define the vegetation's position, how the textures impact the stones, quickly, efficiently, etc...
...I'm sure that some of you know how to do that with TG2 since a long time...

But for me that was a very pleasant revelation. \o/...

Me too!

Moodflow hit on this stuff a bit. And I was able to learn a good amount from him. But I don't think the method he shared went this far.
I am learning to make my own textures now (just started). But it would be most excellent of you, if you could explain how your doing what your showing!

As I understand it, you are "mapping 2d images to 3d geometry". But you are getting a look I have not knowinly seen before.
A break down, and step by step where TG2 is concerned would be great.

And your statement "The (faked) bumpmap", has really got me interested.!!!

I cant be the only one who does not know how to do what your doing?
It has been eaten.

mhaze

Some great images and ideas here.  I like the way you are using small images to develop and explore ideas, it is a good way to learn one I must adopt I think.

Dune

I would be interested how you project your image files onto the rocks for instance, or onto complexer displacements in the terrain. If they are TG rocks, they don't have real UV mapping. And of course the problem with image tiles is that they are repetitive.

j meyer

Indeed,some info in regard to your texturing technique would be nice
and appreciated.