WIP: Procedural clouds from space

Started by nvseal, April 30, 2007, 10:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvseal

As the title says, this is still a work in progress -- more of a test really. I'm just trying to make realistic cloud formations without using an image map.
This is a quick low quality render, just to see how things are coming together. I will be rendering a larger, higher quality version over night. So thoughts, suggestions?

Oshyan

That's already looking pretty good. You've achieved the scattered "popcorn" formations of what I presume in space photos are big patchy cumulus formations. I always found that tough. The bigger "overcast clouds" and stratus, etc. formations always seemed easier, but getting the patchy look and appropriate distortion is hard. I'm looking forward to the higher quality version - you won't *really* be able to tell if the smaller clouds are just noise, or properly sized and patchy until then. But very promising...

- Oshyan

Sethren

I think that is the first time i have ever seen the known altocumulus types (Dotty Clouds). The stratus and cumulus mix looks good as well from that perspective. Good job.     ;D

If you can blend some tall billowy cumulonimbus in with the larger patches and scatter just a tiny bit of feathery cirrus here and there.   ;D

It looks like you have the global jet streams down fairly well.     :)

nvseal

Here is the larger version. I zoomed the camera out so I think I might have to zoom back in for the next render. Now I need to start tweaking.

old_blaggard

Nice job!  Those are some of the most realistic planetare cloud formations I've seen come out of the Tech Preview.  If there's any way to add more warp to get more of a Coriolis effect in the larger groups of clouds, I think that would be great.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

ProjectX

great work!

Hmmm... perhaps warping based on feature scale.

That would be a great feature to have in the final version *hint hint*

rcallicotte

This is very good.  Let us know how you're doing this, if you have time.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

nvseal

Quote from: calico on May 01, 2007, 10:29:58 AM
Let us know how you're doing this, if you have time.
The cloud density shader is plugged into the child layer node of a surface layer (I guess a distribution shader would do the same thing) which is then plugged into the actual cloud layer. To restrict the clouds, I enlarge the surface layer's fractal scale and simply increase or decrease coverage.

Oshyan

The higher detail version looks pretty good. Some more size variation in the scattered smaller clouds would be good. Also the overall cloud cover looks low in general, especially for a planet with that much water. But you're definitely on the right track.

- Oshyan

nvseal

Playing with the camera angles earlier I came up with these two images. Both are at low quality settings so I will be doing some higher quality renders later; but I thought I would just share these. Both images come from my version 2 cloud test file.  :)

old_blaggard

Looking pretty good!  Although I'm not a big fan of lense flare, which detracts from the second image a bit in my opinion ;).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

moodflow

Nice work!

This is a very hard thing to accomplish and it seems you are nearly there.  It even has that cloud thickness look on the sunsets, something I have yet to see any artist really pull off unless they are a pro.  Any tips on what you are doing?
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

nvseal

Quote from: old_blaggard on May 01, 2007, 10:53:01 PM
Although I'm not a big fan of lense flare, which detracts from the second image a bit in my opinion ;).
Yes, I was hesitant to add it. I didn't really want to but it's either that or the default blank white "dot" sun, which I can't stand. I think I'll just remove the sun next time like in the first image.

@ Moodflow:  Tips? don't have any right now. The cloud height is 5000m in that render, higher sun glow values helps (I think, I haven't tested that). I will post the tgd when I'm done. (or at least when I can't get anything better out of it ;))

rcallicotte

nvseal, you do know you can crank up the height of your atmosphere to show a thicker atmosphere, right?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

nvseal

Quote from: calico on May 02, 2007, 11:09:10 AM
nvseal, you do know you can crank up the height of your atmosphere to show a thicker atmosphere, right?
Yes, I know. ;D What I meant was the cloud depth was 5000 m. Sorry, I should have been clearer.

Edit: Hey, would anyone with deep be willing to render a 1024 * 768 version of my last render (pro_cloud_test_5.jpg) sometime.