WIP: Procedural clouds from space

Started by nvseal, April 30, 2007, 10:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvseal

Yes, there isn't a whole lot of progress -- but there is some  ;). I see it partly because I know where it came from to get to this point. This is finals week, so I haven't had a whole lot of time to do any serious improvements. I'm working on some storm clouds now.

Will

Hey Oshyan will the SDK be capable of creating plug-ins that can automate this process?

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Oshyan

Oshyan

Alright, here's the resulting render. Settings only slightly changed and rendered at 1024x768. Let me know if you want me to render another. :)

[attachthumb=1]

- Oshyan

sjefen

This is realy nice. I love it :P
The only thing I doun't like is the sun. But that is not your fault.
Anyways.... Great job on this one and super cool of you Oshyan for rendering it at higher resolution.
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

old_blaggard

That does look pretty good.  It's a pity that the planetary banding issue is so obvious.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Oshyan

Yes, and sadly I've forgotten the workaround for the banding.  :P

- Oshyan

nvseal

Thanks Oshyan, I might have to take you up for another sometime.  ;) Maybe when I'm done (If I'm ever done).
@ old_blaggard: Yeah, the banding is a pretty big issue. It's because of the Altocumulus layer. I'll have to try to find a way to fix that later. Has anyone else foud a fix for this before (without deleting the layer that is)?

Will

Nice, I think I saw a fix in a thread a while back but I'm not sure. I'll research a little. As for what I meant about automating I was talking about some one being able to create a shader or somthing the just haves you click generate or somthing and it creates a simular effect to what nvseal is doing but a lot faster.

Regards,

Will

Oshyan

We intend to provide a "macro" system that will allow people like nvseal to create packaged versions of their networks with simplified controls so that people can more easily control specified parameters for a particular effect. I think that might be a solution to your question. If you are referring specifically to a planetary cloud shader that we might put together, this is also a possibility, it might just ship as a preset.

- Oshyan

Will

That awnsers my question thanks :)

regards,

Will

nvseal

Here is a little update. I've added some smaller clouds (although I haven't worked out a good popcorn look yet) in the first one. In the second, I've added some storm like clouds; but they still need some distribution work -- among other things. The hard part is not so much trying to make clouds as it is to make them look logical in their distribution relative to one another.  :P
Note: the first image is quality setting 1 while the second is 0.5.

nvseal

Here is the second image.

Update: Here is the second image at quality 1.

rcallicotte

Love this second image.  Unbelievably realistic.  Almost want to ask you if you really used TG2.   :P
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

Calico's right - it does look spectacular.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.