Sculptris by pixologic is free for everyone!

Started by TheBadger, April 27, 2012, 06:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hi.

Was looking at z-brush and complaining to my self that I cant spare the cash right now. And then I saw this!!!

http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/

Download full unrestricted version for free MAC+PC. You can even use it for commercial purposes.

Just got it my self, looks rather nice.

Good bye Hexagon? We will see.

**oops sorry guys! I thought I was still in Open Discussion :-\ Staff please move for us, and forgive my mistake :-*
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Made this Fish Face head in less than 60 seconds. I don't even know what the hell Im doing! lol Fun.

Any of you who know more about his stuff than me, (which is all of you) Please check this software out and tell me what you think. I think I found something good.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Zairyn Arsyn

great program, simple too.
need to start using it again.

i just wish it could export/create texture up to 4k size.

first image: Ole' Staggy
second image: The Terraformer
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

TheBadger

Thats pretty cool zaai.
Those images you made would have taken forever in Hexagon!

Maybe you know the answer to this... Sculptris is an alpha version? If so, then I expect that it will in the end version, do what you want it to?

It has been eaten.

Zairyn Arsyn

yes,
i was thinking later version could have that, so i will just have to wait.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W

otakar

There's been no update to Sculptris for a while. It's really a great intro to ZBrush, and ZBrush costs (big) money. The biggest issue for me is the texturing. You really need to take it out into another program for some good mapping and material assignments. If you can live with simple colors applied I guess it would do, but not for detailed models with varying parts (for material assignment). Also, you can't jump back to modeling once you flip the switch so that's another drawback. The tool itself is amazing though, you can actually accomplish things without having to study countless tutorials and read the manual :)

TheBadger

Just leaning this stuff, so Im not sure if this is what you guys are talking about, but, The painting part goes up well over 4K; see image.
It has been eaten.

Zairyn Arsyn

@Kadri: it only exports OBJ

@TheBadger: you have a different version, i have the Sculptris 6 alpha, apparently support for 4k texture maps has been removed.

TheBadger

Quote from: zaai-three-nine on April 28, 2012, 04:55:24 PM
@Kadri: it only exports OBJ

@TheBadger: you have a different version, i have the Sculptris 6 alpha, apparently support for 4k texture maps has been removed.

Um, ok , yes you are right. I just checked. I have the same version as you do. It only goes to 2048k. The screen cap is from a tut.
Strange that it would limit us like that? Likely it will change.

*By the way... I tried to import an .obj, and got an error message; "to many connections to a vertex". The model was made in Hexagon and I want to paint it in sculptris, because if I can get it in there the auto un-rap would make thinks so much better for me. Can some one tell me what the error message means? How to fix it? And what other free program I could use with a good auto un-rap?

*One more question. Why do you guys need 4K? Even if you were working on an image in photoshop that was bigger than that, the model your making is not likely to be so big in the image? What are you outputting work for?
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Quote from: TheBadger on April 28, 2012, 07:30:36 PM
*By the way... I tried to import an .obj, and got an error message; "to many connections to a vertex". The model was made in Hexagon and I want to paint it in sculptris, because if I can get it in there the auto un-rap would make thinks so much better for me. Can some one tell me what the error message means? How to fix it? And what other free program I could use with a good auto un-rap?

It is not installed on my machine but you could try to triangulate the object.
Looks like there are faces with more then four edges.

Quote from: TheBadger on April 28, 2012, 07:30:36 PM
*One more question. Why do you guys need 4K? Even if you were working on an image in photoshop that was bigger than that, the model your making is not likely to be so big in the image? What are you outputting work for?

Big image use depends how you work and what you do. I used 20 000 x 20 000 images in TG2.
Was it absolutely needed? NO!
But TG2 could handle it and when i wanted from a very far POV to a closer look in an animation everything was ready to go.

Let say you have a render that is 2000x2000 .
In the middle is a cube that is half the pixel amount 1000x1000 .
But you want to spin the cube (how original :P) .
Now you have 6x1000x1000 .
You could use them separately or in one texture (as a UV map for example) that is now 6000x1000 .
And this is when you are not going to get closer to the cube.

But in principle it would be good to use small textures so far you can get away.
You might get memory problems or unneeded longer render-load times etc quite easily if you use them to much relaxed :)

But i tend to do the opposite. I make them mostly more then needed.
Because sometimes i want to get closer and make  a different render. This makes it more flexible for me.

Zairyn Arsyn

TheBadger

Quote from: zaai-three-nine on April 28, 2012, 09:26:10 PM
found this earlier when searching for Sculptris 1.02

http://download.cnet.com/Sculptris/3000-6677_4-75211273.html

Thanks! May be good later. I wish they would fix the vertex thing. I have been reading up on this program, and everyone who comments on it thought it would be fixed by now. I guess since they give it away they dont care.

By the way, there is no demo version of z-brush!? I wanted to see if it had the vertex problem too. Does anyone know?
It has been eaten.