adding masks

Started by mhaze, May 05, 2012, 06:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Right

Firstly, sorry to keep asking silly questions!

Secondly - I have a SSS used as a mask for a river and also to place vegetation. I want to add a path using another SSS and again using that to mask the same vegetation anyone got any ideas how I can add/mix the two masks so that they can be inputed into the internal plant networks.

Hope that make sense

Mick

j meyer

Should be possible to combine 2 or more SSS with an Add Colour node.

mhaze

Cheers a great idea I'll give it a go.

Dune

Or use the merge shader for more possibilities, or just stick the one into the other's input (stack them).

j meyer

Dune - The merge shader can cause some trouble (at least it could in 2.3) in
          some situations as well as the stacking method,that is why I did not
          mention these above.

mhaze

Add colour works great

Dune

What kind of trouble did you encounter, Jan?

j meyer

Using the merge shader in add mode resulted in varying intensities of the output.
Maybe I still have an example for that,I'll see if I can find it.
The stacking method didn't work at all in some cases,but I couldn't find out why
at the time.Didn't keep an example,because I wanted to get on with the stuff I was
doing.

Dune

I did notice that if you stack overlapping SSS's they don't really add up. I just used a conditional blue node to add two SSS's to make another sort of curve, where I changed the white to gray or white=2 and different sizes. All sorts of interesting combinations to be made.

j meyer

Could not find the example so I reproduced it with one of my old files and set up
some more examples.Thought it might be better to put these in their own thread,
though.
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=14506.0
Let's continue there,please.
Haven't tried the conditional for this kind of stuff yet.Maybe you can show that
over there too,if you like.

Hetzen

When you add masks, it's a good idea to clamp the result between 0 and 1 to stop any 'over application' of what you are using it to mask.

bigben

Quote from: Hetzen on May 07, 2012, 03:19:19 PM
When you add masks, it's a good idea to clamp the result between 0 and 1 to stop any 'over application' of what you are using it to mask.

I can second that one  ;)   I mainly use scalar functions rather than colour functions since a mask only needs a single value to be calculated