GFence

Started by yossam, May 02, 2012, 05:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yossam

C&C please............

Henry Blewer

I like the subject. The fence is very good. I think the shadows are very dark.
It's also hard to judge the scale of the image. Maybe a child's ball would help with this. I hope you do some more with this. The fence is wonderful.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Kevin F

Nicely constructed and pleasing on the eye ...but to my eye it's too clean and tidy, and so looks very fake/CG. Walli's dirt pack would be ideal. The image maps used for the wall also look projected and out of focus or mirror like somehow, have you tried adding a little displacement to them or going down the procedural route? 

yossam

Made some adjustments.........

Kadri

In general you have a image with potential Yossam but as Kevin said i think your main problem are the texturing and diplacement-bump mapping.

I think you used  ray tracing for the objects. The textures do not give real displacement.
There is only bump mapping . Bump mapping is good from a distance but from close range it does not look good (in any program).
A  little too much bump map value and it can look bad from a distance too. So you should use it with caution.
Bump mapping does only cheat the displacement. If you look at the close column the edges are straight.
You could get away with the bump on the two far away columns with just a little lower value maybe(but i would change them too) ,
but the close one is problematic. I think the texture you use is not big enough and in this range i would use real displacement anyway.
You can model the displacements as real parts in the object if you can model , or turn off ray trace for objects in TG2 and see how the micro render look would turn out. TG 2 would then render the texture as real displacements.
I think the other objects parts suffer a little from these problems too (strange shadow under the fence on the far side for example).

In short i would turn off ray trace objects and see how it turns out.
You have to make some adjustments  for appropriate displacement look probably.
If you can , use better(for displacement made )-bigger textures .

I am curious how it will look if you try it ones more Yossam  :)

Henry Blewer

This is coming along well. The shadows look much better. Kadri has good advise on objects.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

I agree with Kadri. The displacements and coloration of the stones in particular should be finer ánd rougher, if you get my point. An extra displacement power fractal might do wonders, especially in combination with no-RT.
The grass also needs a little variation, and some more specularity.

Klas

Yossam, you can try to add displacements to the objects with poseray.

yossam

Unless someone else has any suggestions, I'm calling this finished. Could not get the textures to work with uv mapping, so I went procedural. I'm still not happy with it, but at the moment I'm tired of fooling with it. Save it for a revisit at a later date.

Dune

Funny thing is that you probably recomputed the normals in Poseray, and did so with a smooth edge.... hence the dark shadows on the square blocks, as if they are rounded. So if you ever revisit, I would change that.