Does RAM speed matter in Rendering?

Started by penang, May 07, 2012, 01:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

penang

Quote from: Hetzen on May 11, 2012, 07:59:32 AMSure. It's a dual Zeon Octo-Core which has 16 sandybridge cores (32 threads) running 3.1Ghz and a turbo frequency of 3.8Ghz. It has 64GB Ram and a Fire Pro 9800 4GB RAM graphics card. It has 1 SSD OS drive and 4X SSDs raided to achieve 2GB per second transfer rate. *drool*

I've only had a quick play with it and got a benchmark of 6.40 minutes, with what looked like only 16 buckets.  I need to investigate further why I haven't got all 32 cores rendering, and unfortunately I won't be able to look at that until next Wednesday.

Looks like you're not the only one who can't wait until next Wednesday :)

When you can get all 32 buckets to run, be sure to drop us a line on the speed of that "beast" you got there

Hetzen

4:30. With a bucket size of 64.

I'd had maximum threads set at 16 for the 6:40 time.

Matt

Quote from: Hetzen on May 17, 2012, 05:47:31 AM
4:30. With a bucket size of 64.

I'd had maximum threads set at 16 for the 6:40 time.

As of TG 2.3, the 64-bit builds of TG have the default max-threads set to 64 and subdiv cache size varies depending on number of cores detected. If you're using a custom default project, you might want to remove the thread and subdiv cache size parameters from the XML with a text editor, so that TG inserts its own defaults when it loads.

Oh, I see that you're using the benchmark scene. In that case the benchmark needs to be edited!

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.