Combining SimpleShapeShaders

Started by j meyer, May 07, 2012, 10:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

but but but...why, when you add a Surface shader and assign it to SSS 1 and then make an unconnected to it opposite oriented SSS [see attached]...I just used test colours to illustrate my point, the 2nd on over rules the 1st one
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

here is one using 3 SSSs and 3 paint shaders...the only way I can male this work as just assigning to SSS 1, SSS 2, and SSS 3 result in the last one applied (3rd) ruling the stack..4th tex for the ground, constrained with a Distribution shader for height only
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Hetzen

Sorry I wasn't sure what you were asking from my last post. An SSS essentially creates a black and white shape, with an optional fall off to black at it's edges. There is a displacement tab which uses that B&W information to displace. Now if you want to use an SSS (I'm not sure this is the correct acronym as it generally means Sub Surface Scattering in other 3D apps), feed the B&W shape into the blending input of a surface layer. This means what ever happens in the surface layer, it will only work in the area defined by white from the SS. That includes surface colour and child attributes etc. If you want to layer several SSs, like in your last image, without them influencing each other (atm, you are layering one after the other, so one colour overlays another), you will need to add and subtract these shapes to create your intended areas of influence. Which is what this thread is about. This is why it's generally a good idea to use the blending input on a Surface Layer, because this will then act as a stencil for your effect, on the main input.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hetzen on May 10, 2012, 09:19:29 AM
. If you want to layer several SSs, like in your last image, without them influencing each other (atm, you are layering one after the other, so one colour overlays another), you will need to add and subtract these shapes to create your intended areas of influence. Which is what this thread is about. This is why it's generally a good idea to use the blending input on a Surface Layer, because this will then act as a stencil for your effect, on the main input.
this is where I get confused. What am I doing wrong?..Dunno how to attach the .tgd as well so I'll add to another post
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

here's the .tgd
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Hetzen

You had one shape feeding another, so you were stacking the shapes through each other (see first post of thread), which meant the mask on your yellow surface layer was a combination of all three shapes defining it's blending area.

Dune

More...

Hetzen

bobbystahr

thanks for the test answers...hee hee heee...tres funny...off to look at how dumb I am now...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

apparently really dumb...how do I get the displacement as well as the Surface shader...in a stack..no particular reason for the stack except it demonstrates to me what I want to figure out...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

mhaze

Here you go - lots of variation in here to play with.

bobbystahr

still not getting it...if the SSShader is in the surfaces stack how the heck do you get it to displace? I've only got that to work from the Terrain tab....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

jo

Hi Bobby,

Turn on "Apply displacement" in the Displacement tab and make sure you're using a reasonable Displacement amplitude. I've just tried this using a Simple Shape Shader in the shaders project view created with the Add Layer button and it works fine.

Regards,

Jo

Dune

You can also stick the SSshader's output into the displacement input of a surface layer, or use it to blend a PF (no displ necessary) and stick that into the same, or use it to blend a PF with displacement and stick that into the child input, or into another surface shader in between the SimpleSS and the child input if you want it's coverage decreased or blended again by something else............ 

bobbystahr

test   previous post wouldn't connect   test
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New