A broken, falling, moon (Fin P.2)

Started by TheBadger, May 11, 2012, 04:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Couldn't you better do this procedurally? Lots easier.

EDIT: This took me 20 minutes to think out just now...

TheBadger

I had already thought of that. Its easier only if you want some limed an unspecific results. But try to break the planet into 3 parts as in the initial examples on page 1.

My last image shows a view of the moon that does not really show the depth of the destruction to the sphere object, if I turned it a little more you would see that the object is decimated down to the core of the moon. DOing it with bump or displacement is possible but not practical for me given the problems with TRO on or off. So there is no displacement in the image now, the sculpt shows great detail though. still trying to work that out.

Also, its a way to learn and use mudbox and maya, which offer more options for specific design in modeling for use in my TG2 work. I more or less am just trying to establish a working pipeline for my self, with the software that I have. The funny part is that TG is the strongest part of this, Maya is the software thats proving to be the real problem.

I have run into so many issues with it (maya), Im near ready to dump it altogether. Its ease of use and functionality with other software (including autodesk products) is near shit. I feel like only the animation portions of the software may redeem it. And the stability of v 2013 is a joke. If I had paid for this autodesk software (rather than the free versions I use) I would be in a rage right now. There are a ton of bugs I have not even mentioned.

edit*
Now that I have put voice to this, maybe Ill look at some other software tonight. Modo 701 is out and the learning addition is only a little more than $100. Have to think about it.
It has been eaten.

Dune

You're right of course if you want specific shapes. TG is very 'random'. I must say you inspired me to do something like this (an exploding planet/moon), a larger version is rendering now. Always something to learn...  ;)

TheBadger

Im sure yours will look good Ulco. I look forward to hearing your thoughts about about the process for this new image your making.
It has been eaten.

Dune

Mahnmut

Just a quick tryout.
its three spheres, the same fractal that controls the displacement of the main body controls the luminosity on the fragments, the same one but inverted gives the displacement of the fragments. fragments are translated away from the center.  I think you could also use the fractal for opacity to get realy separated parts.
I donĀ“t know if that helps you, just thought it could work.
Greetings,
J

Dune

TheBadger

Thanks Mahnmut. Looks good.

Your ideas to use three spheres for each part is pretty clever! This made me think that rather than having each element of my moon (main body, large debris, and 3 groups of particles for smaller debris) all as one .obj. That I should use a .obj for each element of the destroyed moon. particles.obj moon.obj and largeDebis.obj.

I am all ready completely sure this will solve a lot of my issues.Thanks for the idea :)

Also, please post a larger render of your moon if you have the time. I would like a better look at the effect your getting.

It has been eaten.

Mahnmut

Here you go,
I rendered the mainbody and parts apart for your convenience ;)
now I see that the displacement on the mainbody isnt enough.
But thats onlya matter of playing with displacement and offset values, that way you can also get rid of the "magma blobs" I am sure.
now that Ithink about it, I should have put the PF outside the objects internal nodes for easier manipulation.
As I said, Just a test.
feel free to adapt it, if you find it useful just mention me kindly.
Best Regards,
J

mhaze

Clever stuff - where did you get your moon image map?

Mahnmut

http://laps.noaa.gov/albers/sos/moon/
there is also a lot of other interesting maps.
cheers,
J

TheBadger

Cant really get all the detail to show unless I get much closer than I want, or make the moon bigger than I really want. But good enough. Time to finish the rest of the scene now that I got my pipeline working, for the most part.
It has been eaten.