"Mother Hunger - Harvesting the Aritrya-Yulo

Started by masonspappy, May 13, 2012, 01:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masonspappy

For several years I published a sci-fi audiozine called SCYWEB BEM.   "Mother Hunger" was a short story that was very well written, but focused on a subject that many readers found squeamish: A semi-human woman who was biologically driven to conceive and bear children, even though those children probably would not survive infancy. The story was strong enough to deserved feature status, but we were concerned about reader reaction, so we simply included it in the one edition without fanfare or comment. In the story the woman eventually withdrew to a remote mountain where she grew odd looking plants   (Aritrya-Yulo trees (red trees in background), Aritriya-Hi (Yellow-ish leaves) and Aritrya-Honue (red shrubs)) from which she derived nutrients that kept her alive.
Except for a single xFrog shrub, all plants created by me in xFrog and objects (Table, baskets, leaf-drying rack)  were created in Blender 2.6x
C&C welcome and appreciated.
- Cam

Dune

Interesting image, you get the real impression of entering another world (a little bit like the Myst games). One immediate thing that struck me was the white band of cloud above the drying-rack. At first glance I though it was a eave (or how do you call that?) of white cloth. I think the band of cloud needs to be thinner, softer.

Jo Kariboo

Very good and original. Nice work on vegetation. I like the composition to. This image stimulates imagination.

masonspappy

Dune and Jo, thanks for your comments and feedback. Dune, you were spot on about the band of clouds being too thick. I've updated the original image - this time the clouds are thinner and a bit ragged. The effect is much to my likeing.  Thank you! That was exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.
- Cam

TheBadger

This is interesting! I would like to know what the woman looks like now!?
Got a link to this story, sounds like a good read?
It has been eaten.

masonspappy

Quote from: TheBadger on May 16, 2012, 01:27:17 AM
This is interesting! I would like to know what the woman looks like now!?
Got a link to this story, sounds like a good read?
As I recall she looked "pretty much " human (superficially) but her jawline jutted back about an inch further than what is considered normal.  I probably still have the production  manuscript archived on CD somewhere. Just have to figure out where to post it. Might take a little while.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.