TG2 Showreel

Started by Seth, May 15, 2012, 05:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth

I was not the one using it.
But it seems that the imported objects made the zbrush artist had problems in TG2.
As I wasn't the one using it I couldn't be specific.

Richard (cyphyr) might be as he worked on one zbrush object, if i remember correctly. And i remember him always talking to the zbrush guy about those problems

cyphyr

I'm not a zBrush user either so my knowledge is limited. I think the issues we had with zBrush were mainly down to texturing. There's an upper limit (4K?) the it uses for its texture and displacement maps which ended up not being high enough for some of the larger models. Making a model is several sections would have got round this but would have taken longer. The textures needed to be flipped in the x(?) axis to work as well. Otherwise its a very powerful app.
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

zBrush can be used to make OBJs, but the process to get to another application like TG2 doesn't make sense.  First the OBJ would need to go through another 3D application to take the poly count WAY DOWN.  But, Pixologic is working on this to fix that inside zBrush - http://www.pixologic.com/QRemesher/
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

j meyer

Quote from: calico on May 21, 2012, 12:22:31 PM
zBrush can be used to make OBJs, but the process to get to another application like TG2 doesn't make sense.  First the OBJ would need to go through another 3D application to take the poly count WAY DOWN.  But, Pixologic is working on this to fix that inside zBrush - http://www.pixologic.com/QRemesher/

This is wrong!
Qremesher will be for retopology and even that can be done with ZB already,just like
reducing polycount (Decimation Master).

rcallicotte

What's wrong, J Meyer?

Qremesher will make it auto-topology as I understand it and much better than what is being offered.  Straight out of zBrush, an object doesn't work well (if at all) in TG2.  And Decimation Master is okay if there is retopology.

Yet, retopology is a pain in zBrush.  If someone says it is not, it is because they are desperate or accustomed to being abused.

Where do you think I'm wrong?

j meyer

here:
First the OBJ would need to go through another 3D application to take the poly count WAY DOWN. 

rcallicotte

Yeah, okay.  Technically I said that, but I said this before that, "...but the process to get to another application like TG2 doesn't make sense."  I do not think the tools inside zBrush can stand alone well by themselves without another program before bringing the object into TG2.  It can be done, but it's not sensible.

I'll even go so far as to say from what I've seen that almost every use of zBrush in the film industry use Maya (which Seth has) or Softimage or 3DS or Lightwave, etc. before taking something by itself from zBrush.

So,  yeah, I wasn't clear.  But, it amounts to the same thing - until zBrush gets something like Qremesher, I don't see very many great options for Seth to be excited about zBrush.  And now I've ruined his thread.

So sorry Seth.  And we both like your Showreel.  I just wish it had more objects, like trees and grass and maybe people running through it.  But, it is a very good reel.  And you know I say these things as a friend - I have done nothing better.   8)

Quote from: j meyer on May 22, 2012, 10:35:16 AM
here:
First the OBJ would need to go through another 3D application to take the poly count WAY DOWN.

Seth

hehehe don't worry for the thread !
and thanks for the nice comment :)

chrisS@422

Bloody good work right there!

Seth

Yo man. Thanks to you bro' ;)

Seth

is it possible to move that thread in the animations' place ?

edit : Thanks ! :)