Is it possible to create a textures for a heightmap imported from other program?

Started by smoker88, May 30, 2012, 01:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker88

Hello

Is it possible to import heightmap of 8192 resolution with 2 meter per pixed accuracy to terragen 2 and then create textures of 16386 for the heightmap and export it out of terragen 2 for other program? Is this possible to do and are there any tutorials?

red_planet

Hi..

I see no reason why not.

Use Add terrain to load the heightfield in.

Apply your preferred surfaces ...

Use an orthographic camera facing down to render the resulting terrain. You may need to adjust the Ortho Width on the camera to achieve your desired result. (Make sure your Sun is at 90 degs, i e. vertical, unless you want shadows. )

Set your render to your desired pixel size...and if you are really going to go with 16K squared bitmap, prepare to wait a while while it renders. You will most likely need to be running the 64 bit version and have plenty of RAM to complete the process.

This is a bit sketchy but should get you most of the way there.

Hope this helps a bit.

Rgds

Chris

Edit...

I'm not sure if your desired result is to increase the resolution of your heightfield for your target program. If it is you may want to investigate alternative resizing of the bitmap. E.G load bitmap into photoshop or similar and change image size, there are are options for how the resulting bitmap is created with regard to interpolation from the old image to the new.

smoker88

Thank you for your reply.

I don't need to edit the hightfield. 8192 is enough for it, but textures need to be double.

Will 4gb ram be enough to get that size of textures rendered? If not, would this be possible by renting server farm or any other solution?

red_planet

The end bitmap will be around 800 megabytes.

I don't know enough about how Terragen allocates or uses memory when generating a file of that size, I guess a lot will depend on the underlying geometry created from the heightfield bitmamp and the nature of any textures. My guess is it should work but there is only one way to find out... give it a go. (note ...there are a lot of guesses in there !!)

Rgds

Chris