fractal noise settings examples and explanation?

Started by KirillK, May 31, 2012, 08:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KirillK

Is there any docs with examples which can explain the density fractal settings?
For the first thing i would like to understand what is feature scale, lead-in scale, smallest scale things are and what  are all the "tweak noise" panel settings for?  And how those settings relate each other?

Oshyan

Density Fractal is just a specialized version of the Power Fractal with different settings. Power Fractal docs can be found in the Node Reference (still in progress, but a good deal of info is already there): http://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Power_Fractal_Shader_v3

- Oshyan

KirillK

Thanks, It's good to have some basic info. I am not sure although I still  feel those settings intuitively without example pictures.   

What  is a quickest way for an instant preview  of the noise settings changing?  I know, there is a small preview window but it works not very responsive. Maybe with a main render?
Is there any 3d party noise generators that would work with Terragen?

Oshyan

If you have the animation version, you could setup a short animation of each setting acting on its own, and render out a series of frames at low resolution. This should go fairly quickly if you do it on a basic terrain with no surfacing, which will still show you the effect well enough.

There are no 3rd party noise generators that work with Terragen.

- Oshyan

Dune

You can zoom in in the preview window, and see quite precisely what happens if you change settings. If you have some color checked. I use that all the time.

KirillK

The preview window looks like working of one cpu core probably and take some time before it shows a changing precisely. The main render probably would do it quicker on a kind of single square plane  if stripped of everything .  I would like to make a test scene for that purpose and curious how to do it right.  Guess I don't need the  lighting, planet, atmosphere ,  GI, AA  but still have to keep  detail slider high.  A kind of special tgd file for noise setting only.

I believe I can't do animation in my version but still hope to use the same idea of making a set of preview pictures.