switch off render surface planet for animation?

Started by Dune, August 09, 2012, 02:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

The question is in the title; I need to switch on/off the surface rendering of a second planet halfway an animation, but that's not possible. It is needed because I get a shadow inside it which I don't want. A workaround would be to split the animation in two parts. Any other ideas?

Tangled-Universe

Rendering it without surfaces would make it invisible, except for its atmosphere. Is it in frame when you do that?

Otherwise I would just put a keyframe on its position at the final frame you want it to have its surface being rendered.
The next frame move it a million miles away and keyframe that. Also do that for the next and final frame and set interpolation to linear.

Dune

The problem is I want to move from within the second planet with only atmosphere to outside it, then turn and see the surface and atmosphere of that planet. So I can't move it.

But moving it might be the answer if I use a third planet, same as second, but without surface being rendered for the first part of the animation. Just switch places. Thanks, Martin.

Tangled-Universe

Ghehe nice to see that it somehow seeded an idea into your brain :)
Good luck!

TheBadger

Sounds really complex Ulco. Hope you'll show the results. Whatever it is.
It has been eaten.

cyphyr

Could you use a sphere instead of a planet ...
Richard
Wouldn't work lol
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

No, I need the clouds whirling around my 'time capsule' while inside. Thanks, Richard.

Oshyan

Is the shadow you're seeing supposed to be there, but just not wanted, or does it appear to be an error?

- Oshyan

Dune

No, it isn't an error. You just can't switch off the shadow of the planet's surface, or you'd have to switch off all shadows. So inside the small planet all is dark. Setting opacity to 0 through a default shader won't do the trick either. But switching 2 extra planets will do it, no problem.