Optimize Preview Mode in Terragen 2

Started by alucadmo, June 02, 2012, 03:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alucadmo

I really want to move over to Terragen 2, but I hate how long the preview mode takes to render. It tends to linger in a low poly mode and slowly load... I attached an image as an example of the preview mode. I have a 12 core 32gb ram mac pro, how can I optimize the preview mode for my computer?

Kadri

Someone from Planetside will say something here shortly probably ,
but if you ask me until they implement multhreading in the preview
or-and some GPU accelerating(do not count on it) etc.
you would be better to use a small render with low settings (the quick render camera node for example :) )
especially with the power you have under your fingers it would be much accurate and faster too.
I certainly would use it if i had a computer like yours.
In fact i use crop renders with low setting more and more instead of the preview .
It is more accurate this way.

Sometimes i think instead of the preview window we have now
maybe Planetside should put the low render camera window direct there and should do the rendering automatic anyway :)

reck

Yeah it's a shame the preview window is so slow and only uses 1 core.

I think it was supposed to be multi-threaded at the same time the rest of the application was multi-threaded but due to some issues it had to be displayed in the preview window. I assumed it would get added at a later date but all this time later and nothing has happened unfortunately.

As Kadri suggested, actually running a quick render is sometimes faster which sort of makes the preview window redundant sometimes.

Oshyan

The preview window is indeed single thread at this point. I think it's more challenging to multi-thread due to the unpredictability of state changes (a user could make any random change to the scene at any time). We definitely have plans to improve the preview in the future, but for the time being on a fast, many-thread machine, doing a low detail render is often faster and more helpful unfortunately.

- Oshyan

alucadmo

Thats too bad, well hopefully it will be updated in the future. Thanks for your help!