Largest Possible Renders in Terragen 2

Started by alucadmo, June 03, 2012, 12:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alucadmo

I have a 12 core 32gb ram mac pro, and I'm trying to make some massive renders for print. Ideally I wanted to render an image that was 21000px by 15750px. Every time I try to start the render at that size Terragen 2 immediately crashes. I slowly reduced the size of the render, and it eventually stopped crashing at 15000px by 11250px. Does anyone know if its possible to work around this crashing issue? 15000px by 11250px is great, but I would love to render a bit higher res if possible.

Simius Strabus

Maybe you can use the 'crop' option in the render node, render it in 4 quarters and combine them in one picture. Not sure if it will affect GI....
Why stop dreaming when you wake up?

iMac i7 2.8GHz 8Gb

Oshyan

I can confirm that rendering above around 15,000x11,500 causes TG2 to sit at "preparing to render" for what appears to be forever. It doesn't crash for me, it just never gets beyond "preparing to render". Use of crop render does not help, probably because with crop renders you still need the same size image buffers as with a non-crop render.

I'm not sure of the source of this issue or whether it can be easily fixed (some artificial internal limit, a hard-coded buffer size that's in place for safety check, etc.). But we'll look into it. In the meantime it looks like your max render resolution is around 15,000x11,500. At 300DPI that still gives you an image over 4 feet wide though. Hopefully that will be enough. If you need more, you could consider rendering at a relatively high detail (detail 1, let's say) and then upsampling with a good resize tool. This is commonly done for billboard images, for example.

- Oshyan

alucadmo

Thanks so much I really appreciate the insight. 15,000 x 11,500 should be enough for now, I can also knock it down to 250 dpi and get a larger image.

alucadmo

Do you know what the exact resolution max render resolution so I could modify it for different aspect ratios?

Oshyan

I'm not aware of what the maximum would be, aside from the numbers we determined above. But it's likely to be related to the total number of pixels, so you can multiply 15,000 x 11,500 and you have the largest total number of pixels, then you can compare the total number of pixels with other aspect ratios.

- Oshyan