Bierstadt experiment

Started by Dune, June 05, 2012, 02:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Yes, of course, I even used that method once, but totally forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me/us.

TheBadger

Good ideas, but all very time consuming. I'll use them though, until planetside gives us a proper tool! Hope it will be in the next update. I really need it to make the images I want to make.

Ulco,
Thats looking great! Study more images from the luminists, really push it! Do something amazing with this, dont stop.

Take a look at the "hudson river school", they did some amazing work.

http://artsnap.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Hudson-River-School_Yosemite.jpg
http://www.abacus-gallery.com/shopinfo/uploads/1278918519_large-image_hudson_river_school_albert_bierstadt_rocky_mountains_landers_peak_1863_007_oil_painting_large.jpg
It has been eaten.

Dune

There is a certain turning point between art and 'kitch', and one has to take care not to cross that line. But I really like some of these paintings, indeed. http://www.google.nl/search?client=opera&rls=nl&q=Bierstadt&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=nl&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=TWPQT73VDIHH0QWR-9HJCw&biw=1920&bih=1103&sei=T2PQT7yaIYab1AWhhNHJCw

I painted in that style (not quite) quite a lot...

TheBadger

Quote from: Dune on June 07, 2012, 04:18:51 AM
There is a certain turning point between art and 'kitch', and one has to take care not to cross that line.

Just tell the truth. Then you will never cross that line unwillingly.

*Thats nice Ulco. It strikes me as something between luminism and impressionism

I do like looking at impressionism! But I find there is nothing in it to believe. One can only swoon. Its like a crush on a girl you never talk to
By the way, I like that painting you made.
It has been eaten.

j meyer

Nice painting!
And a promising Bierstadt attempt,too.Clouds will be very hard to get right,I guess.
Keep at it,J.

Kadri

Very nice painting Ulco and the other image is very nice too!

Dune

I would like to have this enlarged, but before I do, is there anything you guys see missing? Some small extra clouds at lower level perhaps, skimming the rocks at right for instance, or a castle in the inlet at the right, or a flock of gulls? I tend to put too much in my work according to critics (be it paintings or 3D), so I have to be careful though.

TheBadger

Mist. Mist on the shore to the right. And mist on the water, very decisively placed.

The clouds on the upper left corner need some more definition... Only light will do that.
And I would obscure the peek of the background mountain just a little with its own clouds (more).

The center area, and the half dome are the stars. The Light there is beautiful!
But it feels like everything else is a little disconnected from there.
Maybe just a case for tone mapping?
It has been eaten.

Dune

You might be right, Badger. Thanks. A little low mist creeping up to the shore or something. This is the latest version in low Q. Without water, but with the mask where I want small waves, like local disturbance by brewing storm on an otherwise calm lake.
I have added some small clouds at 400m, clinging to the vertical hills. I don't know about the peak. I would like it to be visible, but perhaps a little ring around it....
I also added another cloud fractal to get more definition in the main low cloud, and moved the high cloud a little to the left to get a bit more blue.

mhaze

This is a tremendous image.  I find the white snow clad peak in the background comes forward too much.

TheBadger

It softened up a bit. In that respect I like the last one better.
lol! Now this is where you'll go mad. Got a great image, but you'll want to tweak until your eyes bleed.
It has been eaten.

j meyer

As for the hole in the clouds you (or anyone else) could try making a localized
cloud shape of your choice,a ridged tower like blob for instance,and then move
it via transform shader to where you want it and subtract it from your main
cloud,that should come close to what was suggested earlier in this thread.

And yes,a blur node would be a great addition.

inkydigit

these are astonishingly inspirational Ulco...
I love where these are going....
it appears that Bierstadt may have taken some artistic license in the 'Among the Sierra Nevada Mountains' painting....The viewpoint is an imaginary location....
the original is huge I believe 10 foot across!
here is a nice large sized jpeg:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/Albert_Bierstadt%2C_Among_the_Sierra_Nevada_Mountains.jpg
:)

Dune

Thanks for your input guys. A lot of these ''romantic' artists have put stuff together just to make it look good, be it medieval cityscapes or landscapes. And why not? I might get into that Bierstadt terrain again, get those ragged peaks in (not too hard). But I'll remain with this one for now. And...
you're absolutely right on this, Badger; I am refining until I get mad. There are so many possibilities, and I just can't choose. I want it all. And...
Jochem, your method I indeed just used, although not localized but hitting random until it looked right. Localize is a good idea!

Latest iteration before final, I think, where I have to cover some bare ground in front, and maybe put some low lake mist near the further coast to obscure the sharp line. A bit more turbulence in the water than this as well.

mhaze

Now that is just simply amazing!  I love the light on the ridges of the background mountain and the deep stillness of the water. Wow!