HD209458b flyby

Started by Simius Strabus, June 08, 2012, 06:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simius Strabus

I guess the title explains itself. There is something odd going on. I've used a light source and a tiny planet with a huge atmosphere to create the orange/yellow star.
(the light source radius is bigger than the planet). For some reason, the rings don't cast a shadow on the gas giant. When I use a 'sun' as a light source, the rings do cast a shadow.... By the way, I created the light source/atmosphere combo to make a nice corona-ish effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGPJ-3CUdgc&feature=g-upl
Why stop dreaming when you wake up?

iMac i7 2.8GHz 8Gb

Zairyn Arsyn

COOL! nice music.
how are you creating the rings?

still couldnt find that bike.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

TheBadger

Thats pretty great, so is the other one! Please give technical details on this, rendering times, objects. And yes, I would also like to here about the rings. Im on rings now, so whatever people say I'm listening!:)
It has been eaten.

Simius Strabus

I used a whole lot of tricks to build the rings. Basically its a rock population. I couldn't get the shader for the rocks surface right. So I used the one that came in the NWDA planet pack. Here are some pictures of the node network including the clip file, so you don't need to reinvent everything. (1.4 million rocks....)
Render times vary a lot, 1 to 3 minutes per frame. Some take less time, some take a bit more, at 640x360.
Oh, and that bike? It's hard to spot, but its there  :)
The original movie was 20fps, but that didn't work well, 24fps was no real improvement. 30fps, is great! I'll stick to that right now.

iMac i7 2.8GHz 8Gb

Kadri

I like the camera move very much!
And thanks for the file.
Wish you could make this in higher quality as always  :)

Simius Strabus

The youtube/vimeo versions are always, well, crappy. I think I'll go for 720p next time. It just takes forever to render. There are 3600 frames is this particular animation, so naturally I'm trying to keep render times to a minimum. I'm currently rendering an animation of about 1000 frames (640x360), on a lower detail setting (0.8) and with motion blur (0.5) enabled. Should be done by tomorrow.
Scene is based on the second picture in this thread: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=14469.msg141589#msg141589
Starts out low orbit, camera rotates counterclockwise and backwards, ending up at the camera position in the original still.

iMac i7 2.8GHz 8Gb

inkydigit

very nice!
I spotted the bike...tumbling nicely!
:)

rcallicotte

Fine render and cool point of view, though it got a little slow about midway - something to think about.  The planet rotation was cool.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?