ARGGG! I can remember how to...

Started by TheBadger, June 07, 2012, 06:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

For the life of me, I can't remember how to add an ImageMap shader to a planet02 object. Has something changed in the new version, or am I just not seeing where to do it at.

Please remind me before I get depressed :'(

It has been eaten.

cyphyr

In your Planet 2 internal network add an Image map shader, copy co-ordinates from planet 2 and paste them into your image map shader position (position centre ticked), use spherical projection.
Your image should be twice as wide as high. That should do it.
:)
Richard
Ps it don't have to be the internal network.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

TheBadger

Thanks. I got it in there. I needed to replace what what already there. in this case the atmo or surface. I put it in the atmo shader. Not sure if thats best or not.

* tried just creating the node in the internal network, but there was no place to plug it in? I mean no image map input. So I just plugged it into the atmo.
It has been eaten.

Matt

There are two inputs to the Planet: "surface shader" and "atmosphere shader". Using the planet in the default project as an example, all of the shaders that affect the colour and displacement of the planet's surface are fed into the "surface shader" input. Only atmospheres and cloud layers connect to "atmosphere shader".

The same thing applies with the new planet you created. The connections might be found in the planet's internal network but the same general rule applies. The Image Map Shader (either on its own or part of a network of other shaders) can be will colour the planet if you connect it to "surface shader".

You don't need to put them in the internal network if you don't want to. If an input plug is connected to a node in the internal network, the plug will show in the internal network. If it's connected to a node outside, the plug will show outside. If you want the shader outside but you can't see the connection plug outside, you can make the connection using a menu. You can right click on the plug and assign any existing shader or create new a shader and assign to that. You can also do the same thing from the planet's Parameter View (the window that comes up when you double click on the planet node). On the planet's Shaders tab, you can assign shaders to the "surface shader" parameter using the "+" button on the right hand side. After connecting to a node outside the internal network, the plug will show up on the outside.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

TheBadger

Thank you matt. I think that explanes why a 12,000pix wide image map of jupiter I used looked bad. I put it in the atmo :o
Ill go back and redo it. :)
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Can you guys tell me what I can do to make this work better.
The file I used for the planet is found here http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/jupiter.php 4k

I just don't get why I cant get it to look good. The map is beautiful, very detailed. But it looks so blown out here.
Its important that I be able to fill the frame with jupiter.

thanks.

[attachimg=1]
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Sorry.

It appears that detail level was to low. I really did not think that would effect the image map so much. If you look at my terrain, you see that at detail .25 its good enough for a test render, but the image map is really bad.
So I rendered at .6 and the map looks very nice.
Just did not expect that. I guess I just thought that because the map was good it would render good no mater what.

Sorry for the stupid question. But maybe it will help someone down the line.
It has been eaten.