Isn't weather fun?

Started by Harvey Birdman, May 03, 2007, 10:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvey Birdman

Oh yeah, I have skybox frames rendering on 3 machines at the moment, so it stands to reason... tornado warnings/watches to the south and east, the lights are flickering, UPS alarms going off all over the place... it's actually clear over us at the moment, but there's lightning 10 miles or so to the south that seems to be hitting something meaningful. Got a pretty serious blow earlier that has turned into tornado warnings over Nebraska.

I remember living in the south Bay, where a thunderstorm would be front page news. Once every three year occurence. Actually get real weather, here.

:D

old_blaggard

Yeah, I remember having storms like that.  We haven't had one for a while though - it's almost as if my town has a weather deflection field, because all of the bad weather passes through the town that's twenty miles north or the one that's twenty miles south and never hits us.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Harvey Birdman

We generally have one of those, too. It's pretty funny. I-80 goes through the Cheyenne hills about 5-8 miles to the south of us, and I swear it's a weather magnet. It gets nailed all the time by storms and that almost always miss us; either that or they come out of the hills and bypass us to the north. It's like magic!

;D

(Ever read the Hitchhiker's Guide series - remember the bit about the truck driver that was a rain god?)

old_blaggard

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on May 03, 2007, 10:34:47 PM
(Ever read the Hitchhiker's Guide series - remember the bit about the truck driver that was a rain god?)
I must confess I haven't.  I saw the movie, but I haven't had a chance to read the books.  Hopefully I will this summer.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

sonshine777

Living in the Northwest all we get is the rain and occasional thunder storm in the spring early summer.
The thing that gets us is the ice storms in the winter. Whats a tornado? ;D ;D 

rcallicotte

I was in a tornado when I was a child.  The trailer we lived in (yes, I lived in a trailer for a year  8) ) picked up the trailer and set it back down.  The trailer next do us was demolished. 

Lucky me.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Harvey Birdman

Really! Most people who have that experience don't live to tell the tale.

Talk about mobile homes being tornado magnets - there was a twister that hit a trailer in E. Colorado a couple of years ago. Iirc, iit was the first tornado fatality in Colorado in a long time. They showed the site on TV, shot from a chopper - this solitary mobile home, sitting in the middle of nowhere on these rolling plains. Unbelievable. That tornado must have been searching for hours...

;D

rcallicotte

I know a true story.  Ready?  I know the woman this happened to. 

She was in her car (an old VW) driving to get home during a tornado warning.  She didn't make it home.  The tornado picked her VW up with her in it and set it upside down on a water tower.  Really.  Set it down without hurting her.

She had a problem with her nerves (shaking a little) ever since that time.

Harvey Birdman

Quote from: calico on May 04, 2007, 04:14:14 PM
She had a problem with her nerves (shaking a little) ever since that time.

I'm not surprised!

rcallicotte

...and when I knew her, which was right after this happened, she was almost retirement age.  She was really a nice person and willingly talked about it, but it didn't seem like something to bring up much.  It still seems like a fairy tale when I think about it.