Crop to object?

Started by Harvey Birdman, May 04, 2007, 03:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvey Birdman

I imagine this has been asked before, but I couldnt' find it... has Crop to Object been implemented yet? If so, is there some trick to using it? I can't seem to get it to work.

rcallicotte

Me too.  I was just wondering about this a couple of days ago.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Harvey Birdman

Oshyan

Sorry about the delay in replying. Crop to Object is not current functioning as far as I am aware.

- Oshyan

Harvey Birdman

Hi, Oshyan -

I figured that must be the case. Good to get the official word, though.

Matt

Hi Harvey,

This feature currently only works with the built in Sphere object. You can disable the sphere so that it's invisible and the crop will still work, so it's a convenient way of cropping the render to an animated object. Sorry I missed this thread until now.

Cool compositing trick:

This feature was originally added as a way of optimising the rendering of animated mattes of imported objects, including the holdout caused by parts of the terrain in front of the object. For example, an aircraft alpha channel could be rendered in Terragen, with black terrain that would cut out parts of the alpha whenever the object was behind the terrain. That could later be used to composite the aircraft rendered in another app onto the Terragen background. You don't need the "crop to object" feature to do that, but it's wasteful to render the parts of the image that don't contain the aircraft. Therefore a sphere that had the same position and size as the aircraft was used to crop the render.

In future we should be able to make this feature work with any object and not need a dummy sphere with duplicate motion.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Harvey Birdman

Hi, Matt -

Thanks for the response of this, guy. It had totally snuck by me until now.
:)

bigben

This cause for this may be related to the way crop to object functions, but one thing that annoyed me was having imported objects load at 0,0,0.  To get it into the current camera view you can simply add a sphere and then copy and paste the coordinates of the centre of the sphere to the Translate settings in the objects Transform tab. Especially handy for placing planes in mid air. Sphere and planets (spheres a long way away) seem to be the only objects that currently default to being placed within the camera's current view.