Tetons terrain

Started by bigben, June 30, 2012, 05:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Working on a tiled terrain set of Grand Tetons. Upgraded to GlobalMapper 13 so it'll hopefully be a bit easier this time round.  Download links to come.

bigben

For those unfamiliar with my terrain sets, here's a quick test image.

3 x 4097 TERs providing a variable LOD from 10m (foreground), 50m (green) and 100m (orange) providing a total line of sight of over 200km from the center of the terrain.  I'll need 2 x 10m TERs for the entire length of the Tetons. but still quite economical on memory.

Oshyan

The Tetons are really quite spectacular. The abrupt nature of the changes in altitude and terrain type make them all the more dramatic. Looking forward to seeing what people do with this.

- Oshyan

bigben

Almost completed the initial terrain set. Complementary images will be next weekend.  Had a play to see if I could remember my lake masking method.., still works  :)

bigben

End of the weekend for me.  Here's a temporary link to download a beta of the terrain set .
http://tinyurl.com/85esvfp 127Mb ZIP

2x10m TERS covering the bulk of the Tetons 50m and 100m padding terrains, a rough TGD joining them all together and slope maps for the 10m terrains.
I use the slope maps in Photoshop to create masks for the lakes as in the example above, so all of the lakes can be handled as a single lake object irrespective of altitude in a similar way to Dandelo's method.

I may end up adding an 8193 terrain at 10m to allow for animations and low views from the surrounding areas to the east which are typical in many landscape shots of the area.

Enjoy  :)

Dune

Downloading now. Thanks Ben! I don't know if I can ever use it, but it's sure handy to have lying around. I noticed you're downunder and Dutch?

bigben

Quote from: Dune on July 02, 2012, 03:10:46 AM
Downloading now. Thanks Ben! I don't know if I can ever use it, but it's sure handy to have lying around. I noticed you're downunder and Dutch?

Yes, and kinda. I was born in AU to Dutch parents.  I inherited the dutch height for keeping my head above water  ;)

Did a quick test render and I can see a glitch that I'll have to track down at the border of the 50m and 100 terrains.  Might expand the landcover mask image to 8193px
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben-kreunen/7485813990/

[edit] Found the glitch. Forgot to set the border blending to 0 in the 50m terrain's heightfield shader. [/edit]