Tutorial pool idea.

Started by TheBadger, July 04, 2012, 02:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

If you really want to try the funded approach, what I would suggest is to first think about who you think would be the best authors of such tutorials here. Come up with a list of 5 or 6 people, 10 at the most, and then contact them to see if there's interest. Hopefully you get a few people who are interested in at least experimenting with it. Then you discuss what they want for their time and come up with a total cost that equals 1 tutorial written by each of them, at a value for time they can hopefully all eventually agree on. Then finally you can post the idea on Kickstarter with a specific dollar amount you're trying to raise. Promote the heck out of it, beg, plead, cajole, and hopefully you can get it funded. The beauty of Kickstarter is if the project doesn't make its minimum amount, nobody loses any money (or time), but it also doesn't put a cap on the amount that can be earned, so if people are really into the idea, you could end up with money to fund additional tutorials.

Now, working out the financial piece and how the Kickstarter funds would be held and distributed is another story. ;) I think it should probably be distributed half in advance to each author, half on completion, or something like that. But of course it would have to be held by a trusted agent in the meantime. Hopefully everyone will trust you, or you can perhaps find an escrow service or something.

The important part of all of this, though, is getting to specifics, so people know what they're pledging support for and what they're getting. Right now you have an interesting idea but I think it's hard for people to really support it without knowing exactly what it entails and how it will work. I'm sure many people want tutorials, they may even be willing to pay some amount for them, but someone needs to do the leg work to figure out a model, and if you're willing, you might just be able to make it happen. If you can say to people "put in $10 minimum and you get access to X number of tutorials from X number of well-known, talented TG artists", you're likely to get more people jumping onboard.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

I have to think on this.

Is anyone interested in this from a logistical stand point? Interested enough to help build it?

Have to think on this. I just wanted to spend money. But I guess someone will have to put it together.

Oshyan, Could we start a thread in a few days, where people post one or two links to work by people other than them selves. Work they regard as very inspirational in a TG creative sense, as well as a visual way?

I think it should not just be about what I like, what i'm interested in. The image pool should be more diverse than my taste and reasoning. We need a selection of images that are complex enough to merit a tut. But the advanced users will reconize complex node work from the image alone, much better than I will.

Have to think beyond the idea to pratical realization. HAHA, thats what I get for thinking in the first place. :o
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

You can post whatever thread(s) you want. Certainly it would make the most sense to get input from a variety of people.

Best of luck. :-)

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

I have a list of ~20 tutorials (ultra basic to advanced) which I want to record to video with audio, but I still don't have the time to build a damn website, nor do I have the understanding of it yet. I have 2 domains for a year already, unused  :-\
There are some IT guys at the genomics lab here who may be interested in some extra money.

rcallicotte

There are some places to build websites without much IT knowledge...possibly useful in this case. 

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on July 11, 2012, 05:10:48 AM
I have a list of ~20 tutorials (ultra basic to advanced) which I want to record to video with audio, but I still don't have the time to build a damn website, nor do I have the understanding of it yet. I have 2 domains for a year already, unused  :-\
There are some IT guys at the genomics lab here who may be interested in some extra money.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: calico on July 11, 2012, 10:02:31 AM
There are some places to build websites without much IT knowledge...possibly useful in this case. 

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on July 11, 2012, 05:10:48 AM

Yes I know, but I'm probably too "vain" for that...I want a simple custom made website which you can easily build online, but I want to have an exact look which is only possible when I do it myself. Something like that.

cyphyr

A wordpress site may have some uses, easily added to and edited and there are few programs out there that help you build the look of it. I'm thinking Artisteer, there are probably others. With a wordpress site you could always give users privileges to add and edit tutorials and links. I admit this is starting to sound a bit wikki-ish ...
Cheers
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Seth

Tutorials are really hard to write.
It takes a long time and, as Richard said, either you write a simple "follow my lead" tutorial or a deep technical tutorial.
In the first case, a majority of users can understand and reproduce easily your scene but more advanced ones will just find it useless despite the interesting fact that you can have a look on how people work with TG2; and in the second case, these same artists, already knowing the basics and some subtility of the software, will appreciate a technical tutorial, but the "beginners" will be absolutely lost and will not understand your process but will just copy it over and over.

I tried several times to write tutorials, but unfortunately, considering that english is not my language and the time it takes to write one, I only released one so far.
That said, if tutorials would be paid, I am sure a lot of us should be able to find some free time to write them ;)

That thread is a very good one and I am sorry that I missed it before.

rcallicotte

Categorize specific elements / concepts you want to teach. Then, setup a middle of the road tutorial.  Include files for the beginners.

Franck, for example, I have asked you to provide a tutorial on how you light TG2 scenes, even if it includes Photoshop tips.  You could do this and you have in the past given some tips on how to do your lighting as well as you have included files. 

It costs something to make tutorials...you are giving away secrets and concepts others never have taken the time to think about.  But, between you, Cyphyr, and TU (and many others here on this site, including Planetside staff), I could see many good tutorials in the future.  But, only if you patiently remember we are dweebs and we need you to make it 1-2-3.   ;D

Quote from: Seth on July 11, 2012, 12:22:30 PM
Tutorials are really hard to write.
It takes a long time and, as Richard said, either you write a simple "follow my lead" tutorial or a deep technical tutorial.
In the first case, a majority of users can understand and reproduce easily your scene but more advanced ones will just find it useless despite the interesting fact that you can have a look on how people work with TG2; and in the second case, these same artists, already knowing the basics and some subtility of the software, will appreciate a technical tutorial, but the "beginners" will be absolutely lost and will not understand your process but will just copy it over and over.

I tried several times to write tutorials, but unfortunately, considering that english is not my language and the time it takes to write one, I only released one so far.
That said, if tutorials would be paid, I am sure a lot of us should be able to find some free time to write them ;)

That thread is a very good one and I am sorry that I missed it before.

cyphyr

Calico ~ err, if you are a "dweeb", then where do I sign up, I know I qualify :D
Richard (aka cyphyr~dweeb)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

;D

Easy as 1-2-3

Quote from: cyphyr on July 11, 2012, 12:35:21 PM
Calico ~ err, if you are a "dweeb", then where do I sign up, I know I qualify :D
Richard (aka cyphyr~dweeb)

Chinaski

Guys guys guys, I think that what you/we need to do is a (e)book: The TG2 by users book.

Seth is right. Writing a tutorial, alone, is hard, boring, and a bit discouraging. Particulary if english is not your first langage (seriously, write the little tutorial on a very basic texturing technique take me 5 hours). We all have differents approaches, differents specialites, differents interests, differents techniques... We need to regroup, and putt together all the already done works.

So we could write it in a cooperative way (one guy, one little part on his speciality), update it with TG2 versions, sell it for a low price, and maybe Planetside team could store the files examples somewhere... Make a list of the topics we want to explain. Each person take one, and write his tutorial... The others can review / correct / improve it.

For each tutorial, we can have:

- What I'm going to do? (project presentation)
- How I'm going to do it? and why do it this way and not an other?
- Did I need something else before starting (prework on textures, objects, data, etc.)?
- What is my minimal node tree (proof of concept)?
- How it can evolve, be tweaked? (several iterations, more complex clip file)
- How to integrate that thing in a big epic scene?
- See the result! (final render, postwork, and scene files)

I see it already. Take the atmospheric topic (I was just looking at the Calico clouds library topic), we have:

- Atmospheric nodes presentation.
- Basic use.

- How to do:
     - Big epic orage clouds (Luc).
     - Altocumulus (Matt).
     - Cyrus.
     - Clouds from above (nvseal).
     - Hurricane (nvseal).
     - Skybox.
     - Volcano plume.
     - Noctilucent Clouds.
     - Sand storm.
     - Tornado (FrankB / nbk2).
     - Aurora borealis (I could do this one).
     - Double Rainbow (bigben)!!!
     - etc.

We'll be rich! :D (finally buy TG2, buy a new computer, buy some food, buy a Raleigh Burner mk2, buy, buy, buy...)
You don't understand me ? That's normal, I don't speak english.

TheBadger

Its a pretty good idea, Chinaski! Others have mentioned something similar, but no one does it. Someone has to start it! Once it looks good others will sign on.

*I like having a hard copy. A book could be printed; from here for example: http://www.blurb.com/
It has been eaten.

neon22

OK. so I made some pages on the Wiki.
You are supposed to edit the page and add things you want to see.
http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Tutorial_planning_Area

I broke it into four categories.
There is no reason why there should only be 4. Please make any changes you like. Its a wiki.

For those of you new to this:

• Register. (at the top of the page)
  • Here's the cheatsheet for formatting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Cheatsheet
  • Add a tut and what's in it and what it should show into a section.
  • Add comments in italics about +/-1, or perhaps more detail about what it should explain, below each one.

When we can agree about where tuts go - and whats in each one then we can start making them

Nothing can stop you now... but lack of interest...

rcallicotte

Video training is the very best.  Watching someone like Seth or TU do something will teach me 10 times what a Wiki can do.

Wikis are nice, so this isn't about saying no to Wikis.