WIP: Canyon Bridge

Started by sonshine777, May 07, 2007, 08:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonshine777

Canyon bridge was created for my desktop wallpaper on my work computers dual monitors.

I still need to work on the grass and water.

The model was downloaded from the Terranuts site, it was created by "zhotfire"

dhavalmistry

ah man....this is an amazing pic....love the fake water transparency...great tree variation....and amazing terrain...did you use DEM by any chance?

just a suggestion...since teh bridge doesnt have textures (or does it)....I would love to see it with lower sun elevation......
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

old_blaggard

I agree with dhavalmistry: great image!  I too love the terrain and the fantastic integration of the bridge.  My only complaint is that your plants are simplistic.  As you said, the grass needs some work (think populations ;)) and I feel that the trees are both too uniform in color and also too saturated.  I think your water looks great, though.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

Hope we can see the final.  The bridge is cool.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

sonshine777

Quote from: old_blaggard on May 07, 2007, 09:42:00 AM
I agree with dhavalmistry: great image!  I too love the terrain and the fantastic integration of the bridge.  My only complaint is that your plants are simplistic.  As you said, the grass needs some work (think populations ;)) and I feel that the trees are both too uniform in color and also too saturated.  I think your water looks great, though.

I will be adding some grass and may add some more trees for variation, as for over saturation of the tree colors, I don't know, living in the Northwest (USA) you see colors that are much more vibrant than what I have here. That's the reason that I moved here 25 years ago. I am always amazed when I go out into the forest, how green things are here, and it does come out in my renders I guess.

Quote from: dhavalmistry on May 07, 2007, 09:30:10 AM
ah man....this is an amazing pic....love the fake water transparency...great tree variation....and amazing terrain...did you use DEM by any chance?

just a suggestion...since teh bridge doesnt have textures (or does it)....I would love to see it with lower sun elevation......

The DEM I used is called navajo4.ter I have had it for years and can't remember where I got it. The bridge does have a texture but I made it very subtle I wanted it to appear painted the green that so often adorns bridges around the US. I may try other sun elevations and locations. We'll see where this bridge will take us.

mr-miley

Ahhhh navajo4.ter, one of my favourite bits of terragen landscape. I have used it a lot and am in the process of "having a go" with it in TGTP2 as we speak. Nice image by the way
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

ProjectX

I'm not a fan of the fake transparency trick, I think it just slips into the uncanny valley for me. The colours seem a bit unrealistic, and a tad bland at the same time, but the scene is awe-inspiring.

old_blaggard

I wonder if there's a way to wash out the colors (Color adjust shader, maybe?) to make the transparency colors look a little less vivid and more submerged looking.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

sonshine777

Quote from: old_blaggard on May 08, 2007, 03:18:29 PM
I wonder if there's a way to wash out the colors (Color adjust shader, maybe?) to make the transparency colors look a little less vivid and more submerged looking.

I'm currently playing with a distance shader to try to mute the distant shore, that is after I find out why it keeps crashing when it gets half way through the water. This happened after I moved the merge shader more toward the water and less image. The only problem is it still crashes after I set it back (so more trouble shooting :))

I'll continue to keep working on it though because I really like the composition.

bigben

You might want to have a play with the Enviro Light settings.  The "glow" off the trees is a bit strong on the underside of the bridge. It's a good demo of GI in action though ;)

sonshine777

Quote from: bigben on May 08, 2007, 08:28:55 PM
You might want to have a play with the Enviro Light settings.  The "glow" off the trees is a bit strong on the underside of the bridge. It's a good demo of GI in action though ;)

That's one of the things to work on after I figure out the water.