OBJ Convertor

Started by bobbystahr, February 27, 2007, 10:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Fire

Wow. That's an interesting picture...

reck

Maybe bobbystahr can answer this or anyone else who has had success with these weed objects.

First problem.

When I render the objects it appears with half the object under the ground.

[attachthumb=1]

I've tried the posRay trick by clicking the two buttons but it makes no difference. The boundary box in TG2 seems to bear no resemblance to the object rendered position in regard to it's height. The box in the preview window looks like it's in the right position but when I render it's half buried. Move the box up in the preview window and it looks like the weed is floating, but render and it's positioned fine on the ground. How can I fix this?

Second problem.

In the example images that they provide for all the weeds, it shows at least two different colour used, with say a green covering most of the weed and then changing to a yellow at the top. I only have the option to use one colour, how can I use more then 1 colour like in the example pics?

[attachthumb=2]

[attachthumb=3]

Mandrake

Quote from: reck on March 16, 2007, 03:57:25 PM
Maybe bobbystahr can answer this or anyone else who has had success with these weed objects.

First problem.

When I render the objects it appears with half the object under the ground.

I've tried the posRay trick by clicking the two buttons but it makes no difference. The boundary

That should be 3 buttons.

reck

Quote from: Mandrake on March 16, 2007, 04:06:30 PM

ohhh the green tick! that's done the trick, now it appears above ground, thanks Mandrake. Although looking at it now I think it looks better if it's just slightly lowered into the ground. Can I specifiy this in PoseRay somewhere? Also any idea on my second question regarding the multicolours?

bobbystahr

Quote from: reck on March 16, 2007, 04:17:25 PM
Quote from: Mandrake on March 16, 2007, 04:06:30 PM

Can I specifiy this in PoseRay somewhere? Also any idea on my second question regarding the multicolours?

Well, when you make the first tick a number appears....maybe try adjusting that number. RE: colours, unless you have an app like blender or Wings3D that you're familiar with, well any app that exports .obj really, there doesn't seem to be any way to access un named groups of faces in TG2. I've been mainly sticking to the grasses as they suit green. You could, and I do, use a map of mottled greens to give grass clumps variation, and there is one of those aforementioned weeds that has parts listed in it's Multishader(it's a clover or alphalfa I think) which textures up nicely. I have converted all of them and Drew has given permission to post them so as soon as I get the assembly time I'm going to do just that at one of the TG2 resources, don't know where yet but I'll post here about that.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Mandrake

Good work Bobby, now if I can just find a tree to work with that
Ivy generator and that pcrock fagetaboutit, It won't import as ascii or that other one 3df or 3rf forget now but it's not working for me either.

bobbystahr

More free flowers available at this link. They're all .3ds but convert perfectly to .obj in PoseRay and thence to .tgo in TG2. Doing a render that looks to be an over-niter with some of them as I type.. ...
http://toucan.web.infoseek.co.jp/3DCG/3ds/FlowerModelsE.html
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Mandrake

Quote from: bobbystahr on March 22, 2007, 02:22:06 AM
More free flowers available at this link. They're all .3ds but convert perfectly to .obj in PoseRay and thence to .tgo in TG2. Doing a render that looks to be an over-niter with some of them as I type.. ...
http://toucan.web.infoseek.co.jp/3DCG/3ds/FlowerModelsE.html

Bobby that looks like the same page that was quoted before, by Drew I think was the author.
Are you still working on the full tgo set Bobby, buddy ol'e pal a mine? ;)

bobbystahr

Bobby that looks like the same page that was quoted before, by Drew I think was the author.
Are you still working on the full tgo set Bobby, buddy ol'e pal a mine? ;)
[/quote]

Not really Mandrake, that site is, http://3dplants.0catch.com/download.html  and this one is  http://toucan.web.infoseek.co.jp/3DCG/3ds/FlowerModelsE.html    quite a different URL with totally different content, heh heh heh. I'm still working on it but have been plagued by horrendous tooth problems and as such have limited focus but am working on it. I have at least finished writing the Readme  to go in them. Thinking of doing it in 2 massed zips with all the grasses in one and the weeds in another. Still havingig a bit of a hard time reconsiling the axis placement on a couple of flowers from there tho. This author on the new page, just as a head's up, is a Japanese person whose name I haven't looked into yet.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Matt

Quote from: bigben on February 27, 2007, 11:35:18 PM
It's certainly easy to use for just conversion. I've only tried one model which worked nicely apart from being rotated -90° about the X-axis but this was easily fixed in the TG object properties... and I'd had this happen with other models from the same source.

There is an option to handle this situation in the "OBJ options" tab of the OBJ Reader. Check (or uncheck) "Source Z up".

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

bobbystahr

Hey Matt,
     I managed to convert all those weeds I've been posting about but one. I'm attaching the original .zip to this post in the hopes that you might be able to figure it out. I'm on pain meds for tooth problems at present and don't seem to be able to think my way out of an open box and it's makin' me nuts, LOL...thanks in advance, ooops, cancel that request, somehow I made it work but in the haze I'm in I know not how...LOL, sorry for the kerfuffle man.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bigben

The source Z-up is certainly an easier option. I tried flipping the axes in PoseRay but they always come out on their side.

As for multiple colours for grass: 1. You can just add  a surface and child layer to the object. Playing around with the scaling of the fractal breakup will give you differet variations in colour.... or 2: Create you own grass objects in Bantam 3D. You can set multiple colours for the grass blades which get transferred to TG (via PoseRay)

Apart from this, the main advantages I find to using Bantam 3D are:

• You own the objects
  • You can mix leaf sizes, shapes rotations etc.... within the one object.
  • As well as individual grass blades, you can create actual clumps to distribute through the object.

Making use of these, you can create grass tiles with broadleaf weeds (for example) without requiring multiple populations in TG

bobbystahr

Ahhh..Bantam Grass, I knew there was a grass maker around, also makes rocks IIRC...thanks for the memory tweak bigben...dl'd that program years ago now but had little need for the smallish patches my old[at that time] computer would handle. Well I now have an app and a computer that can handle it so I guess it's to dig it out.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bigben

Yes, the memory stilll works even through the haze ;)  Bantam does do rocks. I haven't tried them but they look a liitle crude. They may be OK from a distance, or you could use them for mushrooms or distant trees :)