What does Clamp High or Low Color do ?

Started by Alf15000, July 19, 2012, 06:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hetzen

Quote from: efflux on November 29, 2012, 12:38:11 PM
Being able to see the actual full range of the basis function output was useful in Mojo because it was possible to go way out of range. You'd apply a function where you might expect -1 to 1 but the results weren't within what you were after. However, Mojoworld did allow tweaks where this scenario was very likely. Seeing the actual max and min of the basis function was useul. It was only the basis function though. Further tweaking could move it out.

Something I use on occasion to see if something in my node network is behaving properly, is a conditional scaler, where I use the input as the test signal input, tested against a scaler comparison value, that would give either 1 if positive and 0 if negative. I can then open up the node and then open the preview of that node to see my result.

I've found it quite useful to test ranges. Almost like a multimeter.

efflux

Quote from: Hetzen on November 29, 2012, 05:16:22 PM
How does Mojo apply it's displacements? There must be a hierachy of where the surface meets the next displacement? I've not played with Mojo at all, I should have a look.

If you look at that link, there is a bit where Calyxa describes (and with picture) the differences of using World Position, Surface Position and Undisplaced Surface Position. There is also Undisplaced World Position but you also have slope and altitude or any other positioning graphs you can tweak up. Positions are nodes (like TG2) except in Mojoworld nothing has a set position. You can choose that. There are no closed off red nodes.

Calyxa creates the spires which can sit on top of another terrain but they are still terrain. This is all done in a terrain part of the app that has no colour applied. Colour and further displacements are done elsewhere as materials. This is where she uses Undisplaced Surface Position as the blend positioning to blend the materials between spires and surround because she takes the spires fractal as the mask and she wants it's surface position but before displacement otherwise any further displacements will move outside the initial surface position and colour will go wrong because that will be in a new position. The colour from surface position must move with the displacement.

Most importantly, Mojoworld can have surface piled on surface and you have full control of all the positioning and hence the masking needed. TG2 on the other hand give you no control when using fractals. It's the single most crippled aspect of the app. I actually don't think any other 3D app limits you to such an extent. The fractal at minimum needs a box where you choose whatever positions are available but better still, you should be able to choose to hook in a positioning node (or nodes).

I wish I didn't keep having to harp on about Mojoworld but the fact is that despite it's other major flaws including being pretty useless now for rendering (not multu core) there is no other procedural app that even begins to come near Mojoworld in it's tweakability. This is really a tragic situation. There may never be an app again like Mojoworld. Seems crazy but this can happen with software like things in the real world. Somebody makes something and nobody ever matches it. Often for financial reasons. Lightzone is what I use for post editing. That's dead now. Already it doesn't work right on Windows 7. Fortunately there is a Linux version which means it lasts forever as is.

You might think code is code so can be replicated but it doesn't always happen. Also, some code is secret. You have to know how to replicate it and have people willing to pay for that. Not really that different from knowing how to make something in the real world. Gibson guitars are junk now but the guys who made the original Gibson electrics still make guitars. I have one and Gibson's Gibsons are no contest yet they appear to be the same.