x frog

Started by ozijon, December 24, 2006, 03:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozijon

Hi i got some xfrog plant some ground covers from daz poduct  the other day can i put them into the terragen 2 files some how
thank you
                   John

Oshyan

If they are in OBJ or LWO format you can import them directly. Otherwise you will need to convert. I recommend converting to OBJ.

There are currently some issues rendering certain OBJ files. If you get crashes when you attempt to render an OBJ a possible workaround is to load the OBJ, right-click the object node in the node network view (lower-right) and go to Save Object File, which saves as a TGO (Terragen Object). Then reload the TGO version and try the render again.

- Oshyan

PatGoltz

I have been trying for several hours to get a population layer of trees in my image. I can see the box they're in and I can move it around and resize it, but I can't figure out where it is. No matter what I do, the trees don't show up in the final image; I can see them before it renders the ground, but it appears to be rendering the ground above them. I have the box checked to put them on the terrain. I have been having extreme difficulty with the problem of locating populations and individuals. I don't even begin to know how to solve it; I'm having enough trouble just positioning the render camera! No suggestions offered so far have done me a darn bit of good. I was lucky a couple of times and got populations where I wanted them, but for the most part, I'm completely lost. And I have a good spatial perception ordinarily. I have been trying to use the coordinate system, but it doesn't help. Which of the three is altitude? Thanks for any help you can give!

FrankThomas

Y is altitude in TG2 - X and Z are horizontal dimensions

The way I do it is put the cursor somewhere in the scene and read the X and Z co-ords (leaving Y at 0) then plug them into the objects location.  Or you can set it to 5000,0,5000 which is pretty much in the middle

PatGoltz

Thanks, Frank! I figured y is altitude.

I have tried all sorts of different figures, and I do read them off the preview, to the best of my ability, though that is somewhat tricky. And because I am using a DEM, 5000 isn't necessarily in the middle.

I always see the trees render, but they are always dark and in the same place, no matter what values I entered. So I think there is something else wrong.

Pat

efflux

A simple thing to remember is that the camera has a position numerical and so do objects with "centre" so if you copy this data from one to the other, the objects will be in the same place as the camera. If you move the camera slightly or create another camera to move, then you will see the objects fully to manipulate them. Object bounding boxes show up even if the objects end up being hidden by land surface. Also remember that Y is altitude only if you stick around the default coordinates 0,0,0 because we have a whole planet and it doesn't use distance from surface coordinates but X,Y,Z. Ideally we'd want things like distance from land surface, altitude from sea level and latitude,longitude but the program is usable without these. If you move far from the 0,0,0 coordinates then you run into other problems with objects or heightfields being out out of rotation from the planet surface. There are some other issues here that I will post another thread about.

chefc

Quote from: PatGoltz on December 27, 2006, 10:46:04 PM
Thanks, Frank! I figured y is altitude.

I have tried all sorts of different figures, and I do read them off the preview, to the best of my ability, though that is somewhat tricky. And because I am using a DEM, 5000 isn't necessarily in the middle.

I always see the trees render, but they are always dark and in the same place, no matter what values I entered. So I think there is something else wrong.

Pat

Not sure if this is what you were talking about but Ryan of Melting Ice posted a tutorial that helped me out drasticallyhttp://paths.meltingice.net/tg2. 
My image is pretty basic but after utilizing the tut I'm back on track
First tree population
Chef C  ;)

Serving the masses  8)

Oshyan

Pat, you said you have "Sit on terrain" checked, but do you have a shader selected there? You can use Compute Terrain, that will probably work best as it comes at the end of all your terrain creation and adjustments.

- Oshyan

PatGoltz

Oshyan,

Not quite sure how to answer your question about a shader. I have BL02y_MS in the box that says "shader". And I have "compute terrain" in that box.

It's a population of trees. I can see the trees render (always in the same place, no matter what co-ordinates I put in) and then the terrain renders right on top of them, and hides them. They also render very dark, like they're in shadow.

Pat

Matt

It could be that the master object (the "object maker") has been moved away from 0,0,0. The position parameters in the object are an offset for every instance that is created by the populator. You can use that to push all your objects part way into the ground or lift them off the ground, but it's not so much fun if it happens accidentally :-)

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

The trees must be under the terrain for one reason or another. You should be able to tell if the "sit on terrain" aspect is working properly by seeing if the trees are actually following the contours of the terrain when they render, albeit beneath it. If they render as flat rectangle then "sit on terrain" is not functioning. Otherwise it may be a negative Y offset, as Matt said.

- Oshyan

MeltingIce

Quote from: ozijon on January 06, 2007, 08:14:19 AM
Hi i asked once befor about some xfrog plants i have and the thing is i dont know how to laod them in they say they are pp2 & rsr files mmmmmm and i have know idea what that means when i load them into terragen they ask me if they are xfrog i say yaes they do go in but then nothing happens soooooooo is the a tricky trick i need to know to change the files if any one knows would be much app   
                                                                                                                           Thank you

Hmm... well that sounds like your problem, they need to be in obj, lwo or tgo format in order for them to work.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

ozijon

ok ive got the trees to tgo now i cant seem yo get them in color they are just black ive been trying everything so can some one help
                             Thank you

Oshyan

Sounds like a texturing issue. See this thread for further info: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=302.0

- Oshyan