Pixar Open-Sourced Open Subdiv

Started by penang, August 12, 2012, 01:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Thanks penang.  This is really one of the most exciting technical discoveries made for 3D. What we could do...and it was given liberally and wholeheartedly by Pixar!  That is hard-core love.  Wow!  I love it!

Oh yeah...and check out my link about open sources - some more to sink our teeth into.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Walli

I would love to see this tech being implemented in all different 3D applications - then you could move your lower res model from one app to the next without having to worry about the different ways to smooth the objects.

Tangled-Universe

I'm not too sure though about its usefulness for TG2, although one can't actually know this since Matt has always been a bit shady (not on purpose necessarily) on how TG2 works.

As far as I know most of TG2's  'slowness' is because of its procedural nature. Especially the procedural shading takes up most of the time and generation of the procedurally displaced geometry is actually quite fast. So I've been told by Oshyan some times.

This solution has blazing fast tesselation and also texture rendering, but I'm not sure if it is in any way like TG2 is doing this.

As long as it's relatively unclear on how TG2's engine works it's hard to come up with useful research papers as suggestions for future implementation or improvement.

rcallicotte

This is a fact.  But, I am (and I know you are) oh so glad we have TG to play around with.   ;D

I am hoping we see some new ideas all around.  Anyway, one can hope.  hehe

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on August 13, 2012, 06:11:32 AM
As long as it's relatively unclear on how TG2's engine works it's hard to come up with useful research papers as suggestions for future implementation or improvement.

Oshyan

I don't know if this is applicable to TG either, but we definitely appreciate finding out about these kinds of developments. Sometimes it comes to us through other channels - we do keep an eye on CG news in general - but we can't catch everything, so posts like this are very useful.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

I just read on the Newtek forums from a Rob Powers' (officially, the President of Lightwave 3D)  post that Newtek has been looking at this particular new technology for awhile.  This new Subdiv, along with hope to see PTEX and Alembic in Lightwave, has caused quite an excitement.  But, nothing official has been announced yet.

I hope for greater things and keener innovations.

Quote from: Oshyan on August 14, 2012, 02:24:49 AM
I don't know if this is applicable to TG either, but we definitely appreciate finding out about these kinds of developments. Sometimes it comes to us through other channels - we do keep an eye on CG news in general - but we can't catch everything, so posts like this are very useful.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: calico on August 14, 2012, 11:34:55 AM

I hope for greater things and keener innovations.

As an outsider to this industry and observing it for almost 10 years I hope so too, but I hope even more this will finally lead to some standardization in this o so underdeveloped industry.