Camera Path Export to LightWave?

Started by PabloMack, January 09, 2011, 05:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PabloMack

I found a thread that describes how to get a camera path sequence from TG1 into LightWave using a LW plugin. How about TG2?

Tangled-Universe

I am curious about that too.

I know Richard (Cyphyr) does this, so if you have time Richard could you elaborate a bit on it please?

Cheers,
Martin

cyphyr

Sorry for not replying earlier, I thought there was more on the subject but could not find it.
All I have done is export from Lightwave to TG2 not the other way round.
Look here for the LW to TG2 plugin
Also do a forum search for .chan export. Its been talked about in depth and you may be able to gleen a clue :)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

PabloMack

Quote from: Oshyan on July 01, 2010, 02:40:51 AM
TG2 does not currently export camera data. The camera path creation and editing controls are limited while the Animation Module is still in development, so importing camera path info into TG2 is generally a better workflow anyway. Camera data import is in Nuke CHAN format. - Oshyan

Apparently I will have to have the plugin. With terrain being generated by TG2, in many cases it would seem most logical to develop the camera path where you can actually see where it is going using land-marks. Land-marks are usually part of the terrain (They are LAND marks after all). This is especially important when you are placing animated characters in that terrain but the terrain itself is the main subject in the scene. Once this is worked out then you will need to get that same camera path into one or more other SW packages to add their parts.

Now if your shots are animated-character centric and the terrain itself only adds peripheral window-dressing, then I would agree with Oshyan's general opinion on work flows. In such case you will most likely be developing the camera path in the animation package and then you will have to get that same path into TG2 in order to render-in the background. The best way to do something often depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

rcallicotte

Does this Camera Export to Lightwave mean moving animated characters from Lightwave into TG2?  If so, how is this connected to what I heard someone say about importing the actual imported animation files from Lightwave into TG?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

rcallicotte

If there's documentation how to move an animation from Lightwave into TG, please let me know...anyone...

Oshyan

I'm not familiar with the plugin mentioned. For camera animation, you would currently need to export the camera data into .CHAN format. There may be an exporter for Lightwave, I don't know. For animated objects, you should export an object sequence (OBJ format), then specify a sequence in your object loader in TG using the same syntax as the frame sequence output, e.g. %04d for 4 digit sequence like object_%04d.obj which would read object_0001.obj, object_0002.obj, etc.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Thanks Oshyan.  I found a couple of exporters in the PlugIn Thread.

Quote from: Oshyan on August 16, 2012, 02:19:34 PM
I'm not familiar with the plugin mentioned. For camera animation, you would currently need to export the camera data into .CHAN format. There may be an exporter for Lightwave, I don't know. For animated objects, you should export an object sequence (OBJ format), then specify a sequence in your object loader in TG using the same syntax as the frame sequence output, e.g. %04d for 4 digit sequence like object_%04d.obj which would read object_0001.obj, object_0002.obj, etc.

- Oshyan