Making objects for TG2 (part2) transparency and illumination (of).

Started by TheBadger, August 26, 2012, 08:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Hello,

Thanks to Cam, DandelO, and UponInfinity.

I was able to get my objects illuminated! I was also able to make glass thanks to the links I posted in the OP.

I'm very close to getting a false SSS working. It will never be good enough for human skin. But A lot of cool effects can be had from it.

This image is for the glass and illuminating an object. My only problem on this is I can't seem to get the luminance bright enough to throw out a light on the ground. Anyone care to way in on this issue?
[attachimg=1]
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

False SSS:

As mentioned in the OP I had some ideas on how to get a pseudo SSS effect on objects. That is, allow objects to be penetrated by light, revealing depth and layers to an object. I am not sure at all how to light an object for this purpose from without. But from with-in, there are at least a few things that can be done.

Here is a focus on that aspect of what I am doing. I am not going for a be all end all on this. But I do have something very specific in mind that this should work for perfectly.
[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3]
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Ok. I figured out why I was not casting light!  ;D

I also did a test for cast shadows on/off. you can see that below. I see no effect for this use.

cast shadows on:
[attachimg=1]

Cast shadows off
[attachimg=2]

Fun!
It has been eaten.

Upon Infinity

Well, I think in this instance, the thing you want to cast your shadows is also your lightsource, so no, it would not work.  But if there was an object beside it, then you could see the effect.  In the instance I was using this feature, I didn't want my mapped plane to have shadows cast upon it from my sun or to cast any shadows on my scene with light from the sun.

TheBadger

Hi UI,

I understand:) I was just talking about it specifically with respect to this purpose.
I got what you told me to work perfectly now. So thank you!

In this case I do want cast shadows. And there is a positive effect. My first test above were not HDRs. But this new one is. And cast shadows helps with the SSS (sub surface scatter) *effect*.

I still have a bunch more to figure in, But it looks to me like this is going to workout!

Last simple luminance test.
Next up, multi layered luminance. I think the only real way to demonstrate it works is in an animation. So you can see the under layers better by there movement.
[attachimg=1]

P.S. I gave my left nut for this. It hurts.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

First animation of this effort has failed https://vimeo.com/48963732

But I got some help in another thread and will post the info once it is working.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Ok, here is the step by step for glass that I wanted to put here the forum archive. I am just posting the steps to save time for new users. All the steps are from the conversations in the links from the OP on page one. Thanks to everyone who posted on this subject in the past.

To make glass in TG2
Steps:

1) import an appropriate object/model into TG2.     

2) enter the internal node network of the object in the nod network window by clicking on the "+" sign of the node. Do this again on the resulting node.

3) Find the part shader that you want to appear as glass   

4) Right click and select "create shader--> other surface shader--->Surface layer    And again for water; "create shader--> other surface shader--->Water Shader   And one more time for The image map  "create shader--->color shader--->Image Map Shader 
Now you have the required nodes.  (NOTE!) You MUST choose an image at the time of selecting Image Map Shader. For this example make and select a pure white image.

5) Now, disconnect the Red part shader from the Grey  shader of the original parts node.   

6) Now connect all of the nodes we have just dealt with, in the following way:
[attach=1]

7) a.) Double click the "Water Shader" and in the waves tab set "roughness" to 0 (zero). b.) Now go to the "Reflections tab" and move the "Master Reflectivity" slider to some place between a value of 0 & 1. c.) Now go to the "Sub-Surface" tab and move the "transparency" slider to *about* .95

8) Double click the  Image Map Shader node. Inside, select "Object UV, if available" in the "Projection type" field.

9) Find a view in the preview render window that shows where your glass should be, get rather close.

10) Test render!

11) Adjust values listed in step "7)" ad test render again. (Note) you should leave "roughness" at 0 in the waves tab until you have gotten the other setting to a place you like. Then you can play with "roughness" to see what happens.

(Final Note)
In step "4)" I told you you need to make a WHITE image to use in the "Image Map Shader". This will allow you to have crystal clear glass. if you want scratches or other details on your glass you will need to make a grey scale image of those details. SEE HERE: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=15018.0 and look for the post by "DandelO".

The inside of your structure will be very VERY dark. Therefore, you will not likely be able to see in regardless of how low you set reflectivity. If you want to see into the room behind the glass you will need to add a light in the room. Do this by adding a "light source" to the main node network window. However, angle of light does play a factor, and it is *possible* to see into the room. But most likely you will want to add a light source.

Remember that in the OP on Page 1, there are links to related conversations in other threads.

[attach=2]

Thats it!

Good luck.

Now back to "SSS"  ;D
It has been eaten.

masonspappy

Thanks TheBadger!  That's great!
Please let us know when you get SS figured out. I have a special need for it!
- Cam

TheBadger

Hi cam,
did you see this thread http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=15056.0 ? If your waiting for a step by step, one is coming. But it will be a short while. To me its very complex. and in order to represent it correctly I have to understand it a little better. But I think it will be worth it, there are a lot of things you can do with it. Just like what DandelO and I have shown, but also how about a gas giant with a  swirling atmo?! Lots of things. Just need a few more days because I am dividing my time between a few projects.

In the Meantime,
Can someone please explain why a light source appears green when viewed through a glass shader? What can I do *exactly* to correct this?
It has been eaten.

Upon Infinity

Quote from: TheBadger on September 10, 2012, 04:05:27 PM
In the Meantime,
Can someone please explain why a light source appears green when viewed through a glass shader? What can I do *exactly* to correct this?

It's probably the decay tint colour in the water shader.  Try changing that to a neutral colour and see if that changes things (the default for water is green).

masonspappy

Quote from: TheBadger on September 10, 2012, 04:05:27 PM
did you see this thread http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=15056.0 ? If your waiting for a step by step, one is coming. But it will be a short while.

Thanks TheBadger! I think I'll play with this and see what I can make from it.
- Cam

TheBadger

Thanks UponInfinity,
that makes sense to me too. I am sure it will work.
By the way, I wanted to make sure you knew (because of our talks about Hex2), that just about every problem I was running into with Hex2 has been fixed by importing the Hex .obj to blender. And then simply exporting out a new .obj. I then place the new .obj into the original hex file with all of my mapped textures and when I open the .obj in TG2, everything works.

As for me, I think I have got everything out of Hex2 that I can, and will be moving up to a more complex, but I hope, more dependable software. But I would still like to see the images you are working on when you are ready!

Cam,
Let us know what you come up with!
It has been eaten.