Started by Dune, September 01, 2012, 04:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Its fun watching these develop.
It has been eaten.

Dune

Next try.

Jo Kariboo

Much progress with this one. I like the composition too!

j meyer

Looks pretty dangerous. ;)

masonspappy

Looks good! And thank heaven you saved the horse. But now there's a car on the tracks?? ;D

RArcher

Coming along really nice!  You might want to try adding a bunch of voronoi displacement at various scales (very large and small) to really get that sliding slab rock feel from the reference photo.

Dune

Thanks guys. I've been experimenting with a double set of strata (the shader) at various angles and hard layer heights and such. But that takes so much time that I haven't found the perfect solution yet. Small scales of hard layer depth (2) and spacing (9) seem to work quite nicely for very small shaly areas.
Anyway, here's an experiment with also some shadow throwing clouds (only secondary) and mist (low soft cloud layer), but I missed my goal. Back to the rocks, and I might indeed do some voronoi, Ryan.

mhaze

Have you tried redirects for rock textures? It can be fiddly or you can hit a good result first time, anyway I've attached a clip file that is the result of many years of searching for good rocks, i'ts not quite there but it works.  Not all of it is needed you can ignore the lateral displacemnt. You will have to play with the powerfractal and merge setting for the best results.  Mick

Dune

Thanks Mick, I'll have a look at it.

In the meantime...

Hetzen

I'm enjoying watching this unfold Ulco.

mhaze

Just looked at this again. You can add to the fun by adding a warper and you don't need the -1 displacement node that was put there for another function.

masonspappy

Dune

I raised the lower areas by a surface shader blended by a distribution shader, which gave this nice river rock debris like idea. Also added some very warped (12) perlin, blended by larger warped perlin as -0.03 displacement input in water shader and used the same blenders to add a little foam.
Now perhaps for some shrub and real grass, and maybe a railroad thingy? Any other suggestions?

RArcher

Don't forget the mountain goats on the cliffs  ;D Mountain Goats Climbing Cliffs

otakar

The river already looks superb. I'd suggest some washed up debris and struggling vegetation (not the usual nice looking plants). This is a harsh environment.