Canyon WIP

Started by Dune, September 01, 2012, 04:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

I like the rock without the strata as well. Agreed also that the saturated, bright green trees seem a little too uniform. Otherwise looking quite good. Though some dirt/wear on the rails wouldn't hurt. ;)

- Oshyan

Hetzen

Looking good Ulco. I wouldn't mind having a go at animating that water with some of those get normal functions we talked about to simulate foam between the spoil?

choronr

Love this last image Ulco.

masonspappy

Looking Great!  Especially like the water - the white random swirls/foam look photoreal. Only thing that gives me pause is the wet rocks on the river. Typically, the tops of rocks protruding up out of the water will be dry/not glistening.

Dune

Thanks guys. In hard times like this (buying a farm with all complications that go with it) it's good to get some +'s.
@Oshyan: a little wear and dirt on the rails is the easy part. I agree about the trees, I just picked some, but will do that more carefully.
@masonspappy: I'll have to set the distribution shader for the wet edges a little tighter, no problem. Thanks.
@ Jon: I'll get back to you  ;)

Dune

I'm going to have to work on something else the coming weeks, so this is probably it for now. Wiped out the western wall.

masonspappy

Wow - impressive! Great job! :)

4nt

looks great, well done   :)

cheers

TheBadger

^^ That is a gigantic change Dune.
Not even the same idea anymore.
It has been eaten.

Dune

Gigantic changes are easier in Tg than in real life, I can tell you that  ;)

Tangled-Universe

Ghehe yeah, only "delete left canyon" is enough to make a huge difference, imagine ;D

Hetzen

Quote from: Dune on September 16, 2012, 04:34:55 AM
I'm going to have to work on something else the coming weeks, so this is probably it for now. Wiped out the western wall.

I take it the foam between the rocks didn't work out Ulco? I'm not sure if I could do it either. The great thing about Terragen though, is when it frustrates the crap out of us, we can just nuke the terrain.  ;D

Dune

I didn't work on the foam anymore, Jon. But what would be your suggestion? The river is a warped simple shape after all, so it's 'easy' to have the foam follow the stream, or restrict it to the sides. The 'get normal' stuff wouldn't probably work, because if you get the normal and apply something in the water, it's probably only taking the normals from there, not from the surface displacements. I'll do some more testing in between my current job.
I even tried applying the same displacements (as the ground surface) to the water plane once, then make some sort of mask out of that and then smooth those displacements again, and then use the generated mask to restrict foam to certain areas. But strangely, I can't even remember if that worked (too much TG experiments makes me  :o  ??? :P :-\ )

Franco-Jo

So great, Dune! Wish I had the foggiest clue how you made most of this.  Inspiring! :D